best place to change euro's

snowwhitebum

Registered
Hi All -

I am new to this forum but have been residing in BA for several months.

For the sake of convenience I have been using my ATM since I arrived, only after reading this forum did i realize that I may be getting a lot less for my Euro than possible (the bank to bank rate). A lot of posts mention the 'Blue Rate' which I presume is considerably higher.

Can anyone recommend the best place to change Euro's at 'the blue rate' or is this just a myth? A lot of posts mention it but non specifically mention the location. I imagine there are obvious reasons behind this :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Grassy Ass

HA HA HA HA!!! You make us laugh for this preposterous proposition!
Sorry, but the nearest place is Colonia ,Uruguay, or Montevideo if you prefer to travel a little more.
There you can get normal Euro, Dollar, etc rates.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Maybe you don't understand (or maybe you do) I have Euros that I would like to change for a better rate than at the local exchange.

Everyone on here claims to be so knowledgable about the "blue rate" so where do I find such a tantalizing 30 + % increase?

At the exchange today i get approx 5.5 pesos for 1 euro, This is the same rate approx that I get when withdrawing peso at the ATM from my german account.

To keep things simple

If I have euros, can i change them into PESO at a better rate than 5.5? If so, where?

Thanks Rich One

So its not just a myth :)

I shall be looking further into this tomorrow

Thanks again

Most people don't pass around their contacts to unknown people because the contacts are rightfully paranoid about getting in trouble with the government. Not knowing someone could put your contact in danger of being closed down, and who knows what other sanctions from the government.

I've suggested previously walking down Florida and looking for the guys who sit or stand outside stores or apartment buildings and mumble "cambio" as you pass. It's a rookie's easiest access to good change rates. They're not the best, usually a few centavos (maybe as much as 10-20) less than you could get at the best private places, and usually depend heavily on quantity of dollars or euros being sold. But some people think this is dangerous and puts you in jeopardy of getting a large quantity of counterfeit bills. I've bought pesos there off and on for 6 years and never had a problem. Up to the individual.

There are many semi-public places available to change pesos as well. If you know where they are, anyone can pretty much walk in and do business, but the rate isn't much better than Florida these days. I haven't been to one in quite awhile, so I don't know where they are these days. I have a private place I use and occasionally, or if in a hurry, walk down Florida.

I've heard a buddy of mine recently mention a place near the intersection of Florida and Lavalle. Send me a PM and I can forward better description.

Thanks

I have it sorted already, It seems some people really want foreign currency.

Sorry, I thought you wanted to use an ATM, etc.
I will reccommend Mr Luis. in Galería Boston, Florida 138, lower floor,
cel 11-3744- 3508 or 810*7333. You will get the best rates in town probably.

Ill certainly give him a call if my new source turns out to be just a wind bag (which I suspect) "I know a guy, who knows a guy, who has a cousin blah de blah de blah"

Thanks to everyone who replied.

My advice would be to just deal with the official ARG rate. It's just too much work otherwise-- tracking people down, dealing with shady people, meeting in strange places, taking trips to Uruguay. I consider my dollars/euros/CDN to be a safety net and, if someone is desperate for them and wants to give me a good deal, then great. If not, that's okay too.

Back