Best Quality Canned Fish?

HelaineT

Registered
What's the best canned fish to get, especially from a health-conscious point of view?

Considerations: low mercury, good fishing practices, fished from cleaner waters, . . . and whatever you want to add.

For those of you who think I'm too picky, just let the organic/paleo peeps answer. All recommendations, however, are welcome!

Thanks!

Hi Helaine, did you ever find an answer to this question? I've been trying to find sardines packed in olive oil, but so far no luck...

Try the canned fish at Ostrmar on the corner of Santa Fe & Julian Alvarez.
Nancy

The white anchovies in olive oil that they sell in plastic tubs at the grocery store are excellent, reminds me of naples.

Hi Nitigram. Never did get an answer. Just what came after your post here. Back in the US I'm in heaven eating Wild Planet sardines and salmon. Everything wild caught and sustainably produced. Even the cans are particularly safe. Most of all, their fish is delicious. I feel like bring a suitcase full on my next visit. In BA, I opened a twice-the-price can of sardines in olive oil from Coto and it was pretty disgusting, appearance- and flavor-wise.

The white anchovies in olive oil that they sell in plastic tubs at the grocery store are excellent, reminds me of naples.

Which grocery store, PhillipDT? Thanks.

Try the canned fish at Ostrmar on the corner of Santa Fe & Julian Alvarez.
Nancy

Thanks, Nancy. Would you recommend any particular brand name or type of canned fish there?

And what about fresh salmon? I've been avoiding salmon in BA because I've heard it's all farm-raised and badly fed. Then someone protested, "All the salmon here comes from Chile". Does that somehow guarantee that it's clean, healthy fish? What IS the scoop on salmon?

Hi Nitigram. Never did get an answer. Just what came after your post here. Back in the US I'm in heaven eating Wild Planet sardines and salmon. Everything wild caught and sustainably produced. Even the cans are particularly safe. Most of all, their fish is delicious. I feel like bring a suitcase full on my next visit. In BA, I opened a twice-the-price can of sardines in olive oil from Coto and it was pretty disgusting, appearance- and flavor-wise.

Which grocery store, PhillipDT? Thanks.

Thanks, Nancy. Would you recommend any particular brand name or type of canned fish there?
Ostramar, has their own brand.
Nancy

And what about fresh salmon? I've been avoiding salmon in BA because I've heard it's all farm-raised and badly fed. Then someone protested, "All the salmon here comes from Chile". Does that somehow guarantee that it's clean, healthy fish? What IS the scoop on salmon?

All the salmon that i've seen here is Chilean and as far as I know it comes from fish farms. I have know idea about how well they're fed, I remember the news stories that broke a few years ago were about overcrowding rather than feeding practices. Supposedly that's gotten much better in the last couple years after they had outbreak of disease and is one of the better sources for farmed salmon. Someone told me that the chilean farmed pacific salmon is much better than the atlantic ones, although that was probably hearsay. I've seen both varieties for sale here but the overwhelming majority is atlantic salmon. To get the scoop on the feeding and the like, you could probably follow the fish back from the store to the distributor to the exporter to the producer, but as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Unhealthy fish won't taste the same.

Edit: By the way, I don't think most of it's fresh.

Back