Best Route: Ba To Southern Chile?

artigas

Registered
Has anyone driven from Buenos Aires to Lake region (Frutillar, Puerto Varas) in Southern Chile? If so, what are the best routes, best border crossings? Is it better to go via Santiago or direct through Neuquen? How long should the trip typically take? Where are the best places to stop\sleep on the way? I have a pretty weak 1.4ltr Fiat and a full family load, so I am looking for a minimum of gravel, dirt and steep mountain roads, any suggestions?

I did it many times Bs. As./San Luis (10 hours/800 kmts), stay overnignt, next day early San Luis/Mendoza/ Santiago (10 hours/800kmts). Next day Santiago/Puerto Varas (10 Hours/880 kmts).

The Cristo Redentor crossing however has steep slopes, etc. but weather now is good. The advantage of the via Santiago Chile route is that Santiago/P. Varas is all highway straight route 880 kmts.

Figure an average of 80 kmts/hour, plus stops for a family group and gas!. So you need 2 nights hotel .

Keep the tank always Full, in some stretches the next gas station is 200 kmts away, may not have gas!!! Spare tires a must, spray foam for tires a must, belts, plugs, wipers, etc. Insurance with Mercosur Road assistance coverage required.

Back