Best South American capitals/cities to live/work

MarcR

Registered
Hi, I would like to know which are the best south american capitals/cities to live with the family and to work, I mean, the most cosmopolitan cities with more attractions, fancy restaurants, bars, shoppings, museums, rich neighbourhoods, etc.

Please give me at least three options.

Thanks!

That's a very vague question!! I guess BA, Lima and Santiago? For what you're looking for anyway, based on your question. Although I haven't been to Ecuador, Colombia or Venezuela so I can't speak for the cosmopolitan cities in those countries.

Indeed very vague question with no background-info.
Medellin, Rosario, Guayaquil. Three cities with an improved life-standard last few years, lot's of green places, safe security, "ownership" of the inhabitants related to the city where they live (something you won't find in BsArs). Good communicated, culturally interested and great food.

Very clearly Rio de Janeiro, closely followed by Sao Paulo, then Buenos Aires. then Santiago.

Rio de Janeiro is probably the most beautiful city I`ve seen in my live. Sao Paulo seems to be ugly at first sight, but for working it is a incredible good spot. Making money is easy, the environment is professional and you ahve a good balance between the happy brazilian mentality and professionalism. To live in Brazil you have to have a local Job though, since it is very expensive.
Nevertheless it is the only respectable country (with Chile) in SA. Countries like Argentina are making a Joke of themselve and is barely to be taken seriously. Brazil is a World apart with a beautiful culture and independence.

A HUGE plus in Brazil too is quality and variety of food. Go to a Fruit and Veggy store and you are happy if you know the name of half of the fruits. They have incredible stuff, not only fruits....fresh and tasty juices, strange vegetables, local plates, tapioca, great meat, good coffee in every padaria.

I have travelled to most large south american cities, and the one i was most impressed with was medellin in colombia. It is clean, people are very friendly, and the metro system is the best by far in south america.

The quality of food (especially fruit/veges) and selection of products in the supermarkets is as good or better than most western countries, with prices for most fruit and veges 1/2 the price or less of bsas, and most other stuff either similar in price or cheaper, sometimes alot cheaper. The things that stick out in my memory is the quality of the bread (not like the doughy crap they sell here), and cereals - great selection. Try to get a US$ 1.50 to 2.50 hot lunch (soup and main with juice) in BSAS - is the norm there.

Rent is 1/2 the price of here, and the apartments and furnishing are better.

The climate is mild, a nice 20c to 22c most days, and cool nights- they call it the city of the eternal spring.

There is plenty of green spaces, and if you want to get out to the country side for a break, there are plenty of parks, small towns etc on the cities doorstep.

The only downside for me was its not close to the coast.

Thereandbackagain said:
Nevertheless it is the only respectable country (with Chile) in SA.

HA! What a statement! I guess everybody has their favorites... BA is mine, despite it's pitfalls, it's just my feeling. Regardless of facts or statistics, I think it comes down to how you feel in each place. I didn't feel good in Rio. Santiago was OK. Lima, sketchy vibes. If you have the money, you should spend a week or two in each one and see which in which place you feel 'good'.

lucha54 said:
HA! What a statement! I guess everybody has their favorites... BA is mine, despite it's pitfalls, it's just my feeling. Regardless of facts or statistics, I think it comes down to how you feel in each place. I didn't feel good in Rio. Santiago was OK. Lima, sketchy vibes. If you have the money, you should spend a week or two in each one and see which in which place you feel 'good'.

Speaking from a political point of view off course. They do not have this governmental quilombo (or not to such an extend) like here in AR.

Hi Folks,

Several of you have mentioned Medellin as having many desirable qualities. I spent 3 days there last year and loved it, had a good vibe, nice people, weather, elevated subte, ?prices, etc. But no place is perfect. Am wondering what are the downsides to Medellin? Size/critical_mass? Lack of beach/river? (Yes it's not near the coast but then again, BA's beaches are so contaminated they're useless. Unlike Rosario or MVD)

Any thoughts?

I also like Rosario but fear it suffers from the same Argentine leadership & politico-economic instability/insecurity as BA. Montevideo has nice beaches/vibe but seems boring.

-Jim (...in search of the perfect place to try next)

Back