Best Thing about this Culture?

JHB1216

Registered
The best thing that I have found about the life here is the relationships with the people that have become a part of my life. I lived in the DC Area for over 10 years before making the move to Capital Federal in order to start a life with my wife. I made this change at the age of 48 and with almost no ability to speak Spanish.

So I was surprised in how easy it was to have meaningful relationships in a relatively short amount of time. But not only this but how strong the relationships are compared to the relationships that I had in the past in the DC area. It seems to me that it is easier to connect with people here and that they value the time that is spent together.

I run into people that I worked with over a year ago or went to Tai Chi over 2 years ago and it is as if no time has passed at all. Whether we are communicating on Facebook or through emails, they have a real interest in my life and what is going on with it.

Now the fact that 90% of these relationships are between an older gentleman (me) and women in their 20´s and 30´s might have something to do it. But these truly platonic relationships are some of the best things that are a part of my life in Argentina.

I am wondering what is the best part of life here for others on this forum.

Yeah hands down in my experience a better culture for friendships and relationships in general.

I also like the extended family lifestyle.. which I know very well, from living with my soon to be wifes family. She wanted to live near her parents and they wanted us near them, so we built a small apartment on the back of her parents property. A bit strange for an expat that left his parents house at 19, but actually it makes life easier in general as we live and work together in family mode. I am such an adopted gringo :)!

Good posts, relationships are the strength of Latin American culture. Families are usually much closer than in the states. I think there are lots of reasons for this, more materialistic culture and greater mobility in moving from city to city for jobs and other reasons come to mind. This is true throughout Latin America not just Argentina.

Lee said:
Well, since you ask, I find the toleration of prostitution and the over all acceptance of infidelity to be a refreshing change from the USA.

While both of those certainly exist elsewhere they seem to be embraced in this culture.

ROFLOL so Fing true! Which is why the women here are on jelousy steriods...:eek:!

Thank God I hooked up with a good one.. She is not jelous but always a little nervous. As for me I just do not have the energy for the whole macho machisoism what ever thing, one women is hard enough to keep happy.

And I learned along time ago that when my woman is happy and secure.. its going be allot easier for me to happy!:cool:

Lee said:
I find the toleration of prostitution and the over all acceptance of infidelity to be a refreshing change.

While both of those certainly exist elsewhere they seem to be embraced in this culture.

Not all of us accept infidelity. I take my fidelity to prostitutes very seriously. I can be tolerant, though.

Best thing about this culture?

Sobremesa....protracted conversation with family and friends over meals, or even a coffee...waiters who are not intent on turning over tables every 25 minutes....make for a more enjoyable dining experience and contribute to the development of relationships.

Limoncello or other after dinner drinks served "gratis" are also high on my list.

Hache said:
Not all of us accept infidelity. I take my fidelity to prostitutes very seriously. I can be tolerant, though.

CLASSIC quote :) Love it :) lol

When studying Spanish in school in the U.S. I was told never to use the familiar address unless talking to dogs or children. When I first came to Argentina I was really surprised when addressed in the familiar by people I had just met. I had been afraid to talk to people because I thought I might offend someone, but I never felt that way in Argentina.

I agree that the closeness of families is what I like best about this culture. It was like that in the U.S. a century ago, but has gradually disappeared, and I think it is one of the major problems we need to address. We all need a more closely knit support group to deal with problems, not government agencies like FEMA. They can never replace family. I don't think that acceptance of prostitution has much to do with stronger family ties.

captainmcd said:
I don't think that acceptance of prostitution has much to do with stronger family ties.

I wholeheartedly agree with you in this manner. The objectification of woman is not something that is prone to strengthen honest relationships. Life is so much more than a 200 peso orgasm.

Back