Best Vacation Destinations In December

Ksenia

Registered
My boyfriend and I are going to have pretty much all of December for travel. What are some of your favorite spots in South America? What must we see?

We were thinking about going to the south, Patagonia, see the glacier. That all sounds great, but I'm also a huge fan of the beach and don't want to miss out on that this summer. Help me out. If you can, rate how expensive and how crowded some of these vacation spots are.

Thank you!

Only for the Young crowds, looking for fun 3 weeks . Major cities and surroundings. The rest can wait :cool: For archaeological sites check Lonely Planet..!
  1. Rio- Buziios . Porto Seguro
  2. Montevideo . Punta - La Paloma
  3. B.A. . Bariloche

Personally I love Rio de Janerio, but i`ve also been told Salvador in Bahia in Northern Brazil is beautiful and shouldnt be missed. Its very old colonial portuguese and has some nice beaches aswell.

What is the best way to get to Iguazu Falls?

Best way is by plane from BA, otherwise a 14+ hour coach trip. Iguazu is another great place to visit, just make sure you get to stay somewhere with a nice pool. Its pretty hot and humid in december. But theres nothing like taking the boat into the falls and being drenched by the water. And if possible go when theres a full moon so you can take the night tour. Still one of the greatest sights I`ve ever witnessed, apart from a perhaps cold caipirinha on copacabana beach ;-)

Well, the first thing I would say is to keep in mind that December is the high season for travel all over Latin America. So hotels/hostels, flights, etc. will be a lot more expensive and popular travel destinations will be a lot more crowded than usual. But you probably already know that.

I second San Andrés as a fantastic beach destination. It's really, really beautiful and while it has a fair number of tourists, it's not nearly as touristy as places like Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and other Caribbean islands that I have been to. It certainly doesn't cater to the spring break crowd or anything like that. I've been all around the Caribbean, I've been to tons of Mexican beaches, I've been to Hawaii, but never have I ever seen the ocean look like it does in San Andrés. The colors are astounding. The food is great, too, and there are a lot of very affordable places for excellent seafood (conch, mmm.) You have to fly there from mainland Colombia, though. But San Andrés is only a two hour flight from Bogotá, if I remember correctly, and the Bogotá airport is really nice.

If you don't want the hassle of getting to an island but still want a beach, Cartagena is spectacular (but pretty crowded in December). You have to take a ferry to get to the nice beach, but the walled city is magical. And in December there are pretty lights everywhere. It's also an awesome place to spend New Year's Eve.

As for a non-beach destination for December? Actually, anywhere else in Colombia is great because that whole month is one long celebration. Everyone is out and about and doing stuff, and there's just a really nice vibe in the air. My Colombian husband only spent one December in Argentina and after that swore he'd never do it again, and now after having lived in Colombia, I totally get it. Every city has its traditions, but most people tend to agree that Medellín is the best in December. The alumbrados (Christmas lights) are the best in the country, the people are delightful and you won't lack for tasty things to eat, whether you want to stuff your face with chicharrón or organic vegetables.

I swear I don't work for the Colombian tourism board hahaha. But seriously, if OP or anyone ever plans to travel to Colombia and has questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

What is the best way to get to Iguazu Falls?

I took the bus from Retiro for 17 hours, and it was hell. It was just too damn long to be stuck on a bus and it's not something I think I would ever do again unless it were the only way to get to one of my dream travel destinations. Fly if you can.

Do you guys know if this still works? http://www.gringoinbuenosaires.com/hacking-argentine-air-travel/

Can you get resident airline prices without being caught?

Back