Best Way Of Keeping In Touch With The Us?

ajp529

Registered
I have an old iPhone 2 and a dumbphone and I am wondering what would be the best thing to bring to keep in contact (calls w/calling cards, mostly texts) with my wife and kids back in the states while I am in country for a month. I can unlock the iPhone myself and will only be using it in a hostel/house of friends-not on the street or in public places (maybe a free wifi hotspot, but then discreetly). Obviously Im worried about it getting stolen. However I really like the idea of having an internet-enabled device to use to text through Google Voice/call with a voip service. The other option is to take a dumbphone and just pay for international texting and call from landlines or have my wife call me (isn't it free to receive calls in Argentina?). WHat do you guys do? What do you think is the best option? Is data required in Argentina if you have a smartphone, on a prepago plan?

Thanks!

Ya if I were in country longer I would totally bring a laptop, but since I will be moving around a lot I want to keep down on bulk and also would like to be able to text from anywhere, as well as wifi spots.

Get Whatsapp for iphone. It's a free messaging service available on wifi.

Bring your iPhone. I text through google voice and iMessage, I make free calls through an app called talkatone, I also use Skype and FaceTime. There is no need to worry about your phone here. Be careful out on the street with it, but in a hostel or your friends house you'll be fine.

Who has the best/most economical plan?

If your here for a 1 month period you will be using prepago. Incoming calls are free, wifi is available in every cafe around. You can get by without spending much money on your cell service.

I have an old iPhone 2 and a dumbphone and I am wondering what would be the best thing to bring to keep in contact (calls w/calling cards, mostly texts) with my wife and kids back in the states while I am in country for a month. I can unlock the iPhone myself and will only be using it in a hostel/house of friends-not on the street or in public places (maybe a free wifi hotspot, but then discreetly). Obviously Im worried about it getting stolen. However I really like the idea of having an internet-enabled device to use to text through Google Voice/call with a voip service. The other option is to take a dumbphone and just pay for international texting and call from landlines or have my wife call me (isn't it free to receive calls in Argentina?). WHat do you guys do? What do you think is the best option? Is data required in Argentina if you have a smartphone, on a prepago plan?

Thanks!

I thought that skype has an app for iphones. I message my sister and husband all the time. If your wife has an iphone as well this could work....

Make sure your old iPhone supports these apps. Some need recent iOS versions.

Back