best way to get USdollars? help pretty please

cscott123

Registered
just got to BA last week so pardon my ignorance...

i know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but... my landlady wants me to pay rent in USD. i DONT have an argentine account, so i just needed to know whats the quickest, cheapest, safest? way to get some good ole US dollars in BA? first of the month is fast approaching...

thank you thank you thank you! love the blog btw...

I thought landlords couldnt demand dollars? Or is that just an urban legend.

Yea I don't have an amex card. and yea i dont think they can but i love this apt and the price so im not trying to make it an issue. any more suggestions?

cscott123 said:
Yea I don't have an amex card. and yea i dont think they can but i love this apt and the price so im not trying to make it an issue. any more suggestions?

I've done it at the Banco de La Nacion located at Azcuenaga & Santa Fe.

You'll have to go the second floor (don't stand in the normal cashier lines) and hunt someone down to put you in the Banco de La Nacion database.

It was pretty straightforward.

You can find more locations and rates on DolarHoy.com.

1. Withdraw pesos.
2. Go to casa de cambio and change to dollars. (visit http://www.dolarhoy.com for best rates).

You'll lose some on the exchange, but this is by far the easiest route.

If you are in the Palermo area go to Banco Superville (Charcas 3602, esq. Salguero. from 10am - 3pm) with a credit cards (visa and mastercard only) and passport. You can do a cash advance for up to US$5000 per month.

pez said:
If you are in the Palermo area go to Banco Superville (Charcas 3602, esq. Salguero. from 10am - 3pm) with a credit cards (visa and mastercard only) and passport. You can do a cash advance for up to US$5000 per month.

I would suggest never doing a cash advance unless you have 0 other options, the fees and interest rates are very high and it's the last thing you pay back on your credit card, you could end up paying your rent for years!

what kind of fees? what if its just with a debit card and not an advance?

Just take out the money from an ATM and exchange it at any casa de cambio. Or if your landlord likes you and you ask nicely, you may be able to pay in pesos and put in a few extra to cover any conversion costs.

Back