Better than Starbucks and with Bagels!

nikad

Registered
I want to recommend a new place that has opened a few weeks ago, it is called Cattalino´s. They serve Illy coffee premium and have different blends and the best bagels with cream cheese! Also gourmet sandwiches and cakes, in a few weeks I got addicted! So if you really enjoy a good cup of coffee or cappuchino, this is the place to go :) It is on Leandro Alem 1036 ( across the Sheraton Hotel Convention Center )

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CatalinoR/31567154708?ref=ts

nik

How can someone come from the US, where coffee sucks and come to Argentina, where coffee is great and then go buy the WORST excuse for "coffee" at Starbucks?

Well, I'm not a coffee drinker, so I don't have a dog in this fight. But are the bagels really any good? I lived in New York City for a while so I may have unrealistically high standards, but if anyone has found a decent bagel in this city, let me know!

Thanks for the tip!

Smaggi, well I beg to differ with you on the coffee in the U.S., and Starbucks is not the only choice for a cup of joe.

The town I lived in had the largest selection and number of barista's per capita in the U.S., there were so many little guys that roasted their own beans...beans from all over the world...selection was fantastic!! That's the issue here not much of a selection of beans ... which seems odd to me being we are so close to some of the best growing regions.

The coffee here is far from the best....my husband is the large coffee drinker and his taste has had to be scaled down from what he used to drink. We have gotten beans from, The Coffee Store...Havanna...and a few other places..they were okay but not great...we have settled on a store bought ground and sometimes beans. The price is good and the flavor is just as good as the more spendy ones I mentioned above.

EvergreenGal said:
The coffee here is far from the best....my husband is the large coffee drinker and his taste has had to be scaled down from what he used to drink. We have gotten beans from, The Coffee Store...Havanna...and a few other places..they were okay but not great...we have settled on a store bought ground and sometimes beans. The price is good and the flavor is just as good as the more spendy ones I mentioned above.

Most of the coffee, like the Cabrales and the Bonafide that I have in my cupboard at the moment, is "torrado con azúcar" so to get the coffee you are used to you may have to look closely at the labels and choose something different.

Actually (can I say this without being drummed out of the forum?) I've grown to like café torrado con azúcar and take it with me - along with mate and dulce de membrillo when I go back to England.

Is anyone else here a mate-drinker?

I like my mate.... Coffe makes my stomach feel weird in the morning, so whenever I can get my hands on some mate (i'm not currently living in argentina) i'll drink it in the morning. I really like the bitter taste :)

jpm2004 said:
Well, I'm not a coffee drinker, so I don't have a dog in this fight. But are the bagels really any good? I lived in New York City for a while so I may have unrealistically high standards, but if anyone has found a decent bagel in this city, let me know!

First decent bagels I've found are at Amaranta, on Junin between Las Heras and Pacheco de Melo. The chef used to live in the U.S. and makes his own, daily.

Best coffee - Estacion General de Cafe on Pueyrredon between Arenales and Beruti, they also have a couple of other locations, this is the central one where they bring in the coffee and roast it.

Reemster - if you're living in the States, try to find a Teavana store. They carry yerba mate, and it's pretty good. It's definitely not Taragui (my favorite), but they do actually import it from Argentina, or at least that's what the sales girl told me.

...we have settled on a store bought ground and sometimes beans. The price is good and the flavor is just as good as the more spendy ones I mentioned above.[/quote]

Please do tell me where this store is!!!

Julieta

The one thing about this post that caught my eye was the bagels. I have lived in Costa Rica for the past two years (originally from NYC) and really, really miss NYC bagels (I even bring a dozen or so back with me in my luggage). We are planning our move to BA next year and was starting to get worried about the lack of bagels (didn't see any while we were there in October). So just in case, I just made my own today . . .and you know what?? They weren't half bad.

Guess we can still move to BA AND have bagels. I will also be sure to check out those places you recommended. Anyone know of any other places??

Thanks. . .

Back