Bicycles in BA

artigas

Registered
Can anyone recommend a good basic all purpose city bicycle to buy? I am about 1.9 meters, so I need a bike with a large sized frame, and I would be happy with basic gearing and breaking. Also any recommendations as to any particular bike shops in BA?

I'm sorry I'm no bike expert but I can recommend the bike shop in Junin and Sarmiento, they've been there for ages and cater for all sorts of cyclists, even professionals. BTW, cool nickname! ;)

artigas said:
Can anyone recommend a good basic all purpose city bicycle to buy? I am about 1.9 meters, so I need a bike with a large sized frame, and I would be happy with basic gearing and breaking. Also any recommendations as to any particular bike shops in BA?

I've bought some accessories in a bicycle shop on Scalabrini Ortiz (1600 I think). I liked the attitude of the owner and the quality of the things I bought there.

Try Bicicletas Orense
Paraguay 4718
4774-6293

Or, if you want something more upscale, try Rewind/Monochrome. They're in the 5900 block of Nicaragua. Pricey, but they'll make you one to order. Cheers.

This makes me think: I'm considering buying a bicycle and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into the Argentine cycling culture: it feels more dangerous than in the US but is it? Any recommendations?

Hi artigas & MorganF,

I've been cycling throughout Cap.Fed for 2+ years, typically 3-5 times a week on streets and sometimes bikepaths. I can't recommend a particular bikeshop but instead want to pass on some general pointers:

- Tires. Buy fat, at least 2 inches, ideally with some kind of puncture protection. I now prefer "city tires" over off-road knobbies for maneuverability and lower friction. I arrived here as an experienced 'century' road-biker and initially used higher-pressure 80-100psi skinny roadbike tires and got all beat-up from vibration on the many rough roads and cobblestone around the city. Now I use Schwalbe "Big Apple" balloon tires with Kevlar puncture-protection and absolutely love them. Expensive, bought in the States.

- Suspension & brakes. It's tempting to buy a bike with front shock-absorbing suspension, but I recommend "NO". They're heavier and less maneuverable when (not if) that taxi cuts you off, or pedestrian jumps out of nowhere before looking. You're not going off-roading, look for best maneuverability and stopping power, keep it lightweight. My novia insisted on front suspension and paid the price with a broken kneecap when she fell, 'twas possibly avoidable with better maneuverability. Also, although foldable bikes are the new rage ("de moda") here, beware they can get quite pricey, attract more attention, and are just as easily stolen if you don't always fold and carry (which starts happening in month #2!).

- Knowledge. Learn/use the city bikepaths and traffic patterns. Avoid rush-hour, but if you can't, use those bikepaths and less-busy streets--I love Libertador Av. except during rush-hour. Use helmet, blinky lights (esp. at dusk), and dress as brightly & visibly as possible--you can never be too visible. Use a bell to warn the many pedestrians who are 'inattentive' or, as Porteño taxpayers feel entitled to hog the bikepaths. Learn the train lines & stops--you can always jump on a 'furgon' wagon with your bike, especially handy with sudden rains. Buy/read a good urban-biking book e.g. "Urban Bikers' Tricks & Tips" by Dave Glowacz. And by all means use both a cable/chain and a 'U-Bar' lock but don't rely on them for long-periods--I pay the 2-4 peso fee to park in the attended parking areas all over the city.

- Culture. Finally, I think the cycling culture here is like that of any big USA city (except possibly Portland OR. & Minneapolis MN) in that the drivers will bully you and/or be distracted and not see you, so you have to adopt an "assertive" city riding style when/if you want to venture off the bikepaths. Use that back-blinky light and watch out for colectivos pulling out, slow-trolling taxis, and pedestrians with cellphones & ipods. Biking here is a form of Darwinian selection and not for the faint-hearted!

Good luck!
Jim

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Expat Life 5
J Newcomers Forum 2
J Newcomers Forum 0
V Expat Life 0
Back