bife de chorizo?

va2ba

Registered
Can anyone tell me what bife de chorizo is in English, or what the equivalent of it would be in the United States?

va2ba said:
Can anyone tell me what bife de chorizo is in English, or what the equivalent of it would be in the United States?

I can tell you that the equivalent for "bife de chorizo" is "entrecot" in Rosario and most of Argentina. I really don't know why porteños named this premium cut to sound like it's some sort of smashed chorizo.
And the "entrecot" in Buenos Aires is sometimes used for a different (cheap) cut.

Of course, we the people from Rosario are much more cooler than that :p
So, look for whatever the equivalent to the "entrecot" (french) is for you.

Yeah but the poor guy was asking what the name of a bife de chorizo was in English, not what other cuts other palces in ARgentina call it. Without the clarification fo locale, since the site is "BA"Expats, my assumption of the question would be "what is a bife de chorizo in Buenos Aires called in English."

VA - I've seen bife de chorizo called "New York Strip" here, which is, as 2 Guys mentioned, a sirloin cut.

ElQueso said:
Yeah but the poor guy was asking what the name of a bife de chorizo was in English, not what other cuts other palces in ARgentina call it. Without the clarification fo locale, since the site is "BA"Expats, my assumption of the question would be "what is a bife de chorizo in Buenos Aires called in English."

Granted. I do get carried away with the differences bet. BA and other cities in Argentina. Sorry about that.
But even so, my point was to help the guy to understand what the majority of the spanish speaking world call that cut. It's much easier to identify and google for an "entrecot".

And stop the animosity. The site may be called "BA"expats, but there are posters from Mendoza, Bariloche and I'm sure some other places.

billsfan said:
And stop the animosity. The site may be called "BA"expats, but there are posters from Mendoza, Bariloche and I'm sure some other places.

"Animosity is a feeling of hatred arousing active hosility." "A feeling of strong dislike, ill will, or enmity that tends to display itself in action"

I didn't even use any strong words when I made my comment directed to you, and you are accusing me of emitting feelings of hatred? Did I arouse feelings of hostility in you? How on Earth do you get that my comment contained animosity??? If so, I apologize, it wasn't my intention. I was just making an offhand comment.

Dude, I made that comment because the OP was asking for a simple answer. You gave him a dissertation on what different cuts are called in Argentina as a whole but didn't bother to answer his actual question. Then, when the answer was given to him, you had to correct the guy who gave him the answer.

I have no beef (pun intended) with anyone outside of Buenos Aires. I made that comment because you went completely out of the range of any question or answer (and yours was the first response). I was clarifying that given that VA2BA, myself, and as far as I know 2GuysInPM, are all in Buenos Aires, the assumption was that we were talking about what a bife de chorizo in Buenos Aires was called in English.

I have often waited to make extraneous comments to an OP, related to the subject posted, to allow others to first answer the post. But that's just me.

I tought my reply was rather good :(
He only needed to go to the wikipedia page and pick an english name for that cut.

And don't get carried away. I only said "animosity". No need to google the word since most people here speak english, right?

Yes, I was indeed asking what it was called in English. Thanks to those who replied!

Knowing how to say it in Rosario may help me one day, but not now.

Back