Big Brother Argentina & Grown Men Crying

LAtoBA

Registered
Okay. Sorry just had to post this. Just finished watching Gran Hermano for the first and last time. I never watched the show in the US and now I see why. So tonight the family members of the remaining contestants sent in videos to their loved ones. I sat their in disbelief as I watched every single participant not only cry but sob profusely--I would call it more breaking down. I'm talking crying and gasping for air, while being held by their cast members. Every single contestant....male and female. I really couldn't believe it and couldn't help from laughing. I'm sorry I know family is important but at 27 or 30 years old I have to imagine that you've been away from your family for at least a couple of months right? Yes I know Argentines are more emotional than us frigid Americans but seriously I thought their parents had just died. I wasn't really surprised with the women crying but watching grown men turn into little school girls was a bit strange.

I write this post because in the 7 months that I've lived in Buenos Aires I've never seen grown Argentine men do this, so I just thought it bizarre. I'm thinking some of it was just theatrics to garner sympathy from viewers. Do they carry on like that in Big Brother US? Is that pretty normal behavior here? Maybe it is. Yes I know different country, different culture but I am curious how Argentines or Europeans would view this.

LAtoBA said:
Okay. Sorry just had to post this. Just finished watching Gran Hermano for the first and last time. I never watched the show in the US and now I see why. So tonight the family members of the remaining contestants sent in videos to their loved ones. I sat their in disbelief as I watched every single participant not only cry but sob profusely--I would call it more breaking down. I'm talking crying and gasping for air, while being held by their cast members. Every single contestant....male and female. I really couldn't believe it and couldn't help from laughing. I'm sorry I know family is important but at 27 or 30 years old I have to imagine that you've been away from your family for at least a couple of months right? Yes I know Argentines are more emotional than us frigid Americans but seriously I thought their parents had just died. I wasn't really surprised with the women crying but watching grown men turn into little school girls was a bit strange.

I write this post because in the 7 months that I've lived in Buenos Aires I've never seen grown Argentine men do this, so I just thought it bizarre. I'm thinking some of it was just theatrics to garner sympathy from viewers. Do they do they carry on like that in Big Brother US? Is that pretty normal behavior here? Maybe it is. Yes I know different country, different culture but I am curious how Argentines or Europeans would view this.
well i,m English and I think it,s utter garbage,altho my wife sometimes tunes in,sad sad sad:rolleyes:

Big brother participants are attention seeking mental retards. I wouldn't say they represent Argies in general.

I cant watch that tv program for more than few seconds, while zapping looking for something cool to watch.

If you don't act in this ridiculous (I'd say immature) way are you "frigid"? I wouldn't say so but that's my opinion.

Sorry that was fricking HILARIOUS -- we were channel flipping and landed on it when some guy Martin was watching the vid from his family and was completely out of control -- like these were videos of people who had died during his absence or something.

I haven't watched Big Brother since first series in England, but I can tell you that here all of the realities are filled with very over the top, scheming people. One of the guys on Gran Hermano has a criminal record for assault and I know he verbally assaulted one of the girls in the house, but not sure if he's physically assaulted anyone in there yet -- however in the States he wouldn't have even been allowed into the house in the first place.

the most hilarious reality right now is Bailando por Sonar . We're trying to save some $$ right now so have spent an unusual number of saturday nights on our couch and have seen far too much of that show. Talk about dramatics. We watched the first 15 mins while eating dinner the other night and one of the uys must have had vaseline in his eyes to keep him crying... we put in a movie, 2.5 hrs later when it ended, the show was STILL on, still bs-ing about whatever, and the guy STILL looked like he was going to break down and cry....

Men here are more emotive than North America, but they are not all the headcases that you see on the realities.

I'd rather watch paint dry.
Argentine men are very emotional. I have no problem with that at all, being a rather dry Brit.
I was at a wedding not long ago and truly I've never seen so many grown men crying their eyes out for the groom and his new wife.

Someone please post a link...I need to post it on my facebook in my collection of "alto pelotudos argentinos" (highly ego-retarded Argentines)

I only watch sports here, but I will say that I see lots of fake crying and occasionally real crying.

Here you can see some REAL tears from an Argentine rugby player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuDgnQq0s3A&feature=related

Even tough men cry for a good cause.

I hate the Big Brother show concept, let alone watching it. I spent some of my time watching one edition a few years ago only because an old schoolmate was there. Watching a guy I know since the age of six "live" in that "house" was surreal, to say the least.

We all know the whole thing's orchestrated. In TV people are not left to do what they want.

I use to think that Anglo-Saxons were cold, not frigid, until one day I moved to the States and found people to be in control of their emotions, which they showed selectively. There's a difference between controlling your emotions and not having any, and the emotions passionately displayed can be as fake as in Gran Hermano.

If Gran Hermano is meant to show a manipulated reality by manipulating people into manipulating each other, then the question we Argies should asks ourselves would be why are we so suspicious about what we see in it. I find that thought ironic. Maybe what we get to watch is our idiosyncrasy's ugliest face reveal our mediocrity, selfishness and jealousness. Maybe I hate the show because I hate the reality it shows.

xibeca's right: they do not represent us in general, but they may represent our general worst: like Howard said, it's utter garbage. If it's so... sad, sad, sad.

My two cents.

Back