Biking BA

Jeff.Zorrilla

Registered
I have been biking the city of Manhattan for the past four years; it is a little dangerous but I have managed to keep myself in one piece. Does anyone know what biking around BA is like in comparison to NYC?

Jeff.Zorrilla said:
I have been biking the city of Manhattan for the past four years; it is a little dangerous but I have managed to keep myself in one piece. Does anyone know what biking around BA is like in comparison to NYC?

BA is a great town to bike, at least as good as New York. There are ciclovías all over the city. The best ones are along Libertador and the coastline.

Like in any large city, you must be aggressively aware of traffic when you ride. I have found that some drivers are malicious and will try to kill you. The solution there is to kick their ass at the next stop sign or semaforo - the traffic in Buenos Aires, like New York, is so heavy that no car can ever get so far ahead of you as to avoid payback. It's amazing how many vicious drivers turn into cowards once you have them pinned in their vehicles, unable to budge in traffic, and unable to run you over. The apologies flow freely at that point.

But far more common are drivers simply unaccustomed to seeing bicycles on the road. The situation improves every day, as the city tries to evolve into a bike-friendly community. Most near-misses are due to bad driving rather than evil driving. The only defense in this case is hyper-awareness on your part, probably along the lines of what you are already used to. Believe it or not, riding contra-mano helps as well. The drivers are shocked into seeing and thus avoiding you (though they also may give you the finger as a result).

Check out Mejor en Bici on Facebook for excellent information and updates about bicycling here.

Kick ass. Hmmm.
BA is considerably more dangerous unless you want to kick ass with your bike! I have biked in both. I suggest you get additional insight unless you really want to kick ass. Unbelievable..

I ride my bike all the time -- at certain hours of the day it's just the fastest way to get from point A to point B in the city (ie from my house to Recoleta at 6pm in a bus -- 1hr+, in taxi 30mins+, by bike less than 20mins.)

You do have to be careful, but there are ciclovias (though not necessarily well planned ones). Best day to ride by far is Sunday, no traffic and you can ride throughout the city. I tend to ride out along Libertador to Olivos or Martinez, or over the highway and back via the seawall out front of Aeroparque, or else do a tour of various barrios of North/West Capital Federal.

Once you get used to the cobblestones and potholes and careless drivers, the city is yours. Just watch out for potholes. Seriously. You'll be over your handlebars if you take half the streets here too fast!

I *love* my bike in BA. It's my primary mode of transport and I wouldn't have it any other way. Do some searches for threads that talk about it (I'm a big advocate) but I can clearly divide my life here into two chapters: before/after bike. Don't worry about the naysayers, in general biking here is generally safe (as long as you stay aware and keep your eyes open--just like any big city) and it's faster, more enjoyable, and the cheapest mode of transport around. The streets are relatively flat so you don't have to worry too much about any hills, and as long as you have a good lock (don't leave your bike out too long anywhere, esp. after dark) you'll likely hold on to your bike to ride another day. You can explore a lot more easily with a bike here, too, as it earns you a certain degree of invisibility that you don't get on foot/taxi/bus. Honestly I find cars are generally more respectful of bicyclists than pedestrians, but watch out especially for taxis and busses.

Back