Biking to work in BA

Icabod

Registered
I have not yet arrived and was wondering about the feasibility of biking to work from either Palermo/Recoleta/Belgrano to Palermo. Is it common? I have read much about the nightmare traffic, las huelgas en el subte, etc, but very little about anyone who bikes to work. Any advise or info is appreciated.

Biking between any of those barrios you mention and or the Centro is quite feasible. Biking in BA is treacherous so it takes some discipline, but there may even be paths for much of the distance as new bike paths have been constructed spanning much of those neighborhoods.

I had hoped that I would be able to ride to work everyday as well but very quickly decided that it was too dangerous. I would have been going from Recoleta to Centro, but found that the traffic was too much. And it's not just the cars! It's the buses and the pedestrians as well! Plus the streets are in poor condition. And then there is the issue of making sure you bike doesn't get stolen.

It might be better if going from the neighbourhoods you list to Palermo-- especially if you go through the parks. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.

I started cycling to work about a month ago - bought the bike about 4 months ago but the weather was a little too cold for me.

I cycle within Recoleta for work (Cordoba to Libertador) so it's only 10 minutes and I can leave my bike the office car park where there's always a security guard so it's safe.

I've cycled to work in Dublin and New York and BsAs is prob a little worse because drivers and buses will turn without indicating and speed up to make a right turn and cut you off from going straight but other than that it's fine... Sticking to the smaller roads is nicer because it's a little calmer and usually drivers go slower but those roads get congested easier and you can get stuck in traffic. On the bigger roads (avenues) - Callo, Pueyyredon, Sante Fe, Cordoba etc there'll always be space to move on through when there's traffic.

I'd recommend to head along to Masa Critica at the Obelisk the first Sunday of each month if you're into that sort of thing!

I would second what Panini said. I've biked to work in Philly and San Diego. SD was a breeze but Philly a bit more "urban warfare" with the poor road conditions and Kamikaze taxi drivers. I'm a very experienced cyclist and I can manage the traffic here. But it's is a full-time job while riding. I'm pretty assertive as well in commanding my lane, etc. Though, surprisingly, I do often see young women riding riding single speeds with the basket on the front and wearing headphones ... seemingly oblivious to any threat. Go figure.

Thanks for the advice. I have biked in DC (easy), NYC (fairly easy and getting better), and Suriname (challenging), so as long as I am not the only one attempting to do it I will give it a shot when I arrive.

Thanks, again.

Back