Birth certificate apostille expiration?

keliza92

Registered
Hi, I've searched the forums for an answer to this, but I couldn't find anything conclusive, so forgive me if this has been answered. I'm going to be applying for permanent residency through marriage to an Argentinian citizen within the next year, and I'm just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row re: paperwork.

My question is re: my birth certificate, which I just obtained from New Jersey a few days ago. I was wondering if either my birth certificate or apostille will expire in the eyes of Migraciones if I were to get it now (which is about 3 months before I will be applying for residency). I figured the birth certificate will probably be fine, but should I put off getting the apostille until I'm closer to applying? Will I need to get a newer copy of my birth certificate then as well?

I appreciate any answers. Thanks for reading.

I believe you need an original birth certificate, not a copy. Neither a BC nor apostle expire.

I believe you need an original birth certificate, not a copy. Neither a BC nor apostle expire.
Immigration requires a certified copy of whatever original "birth certificate" is on file in the state (or country) in which the person was born.

In the USA these are issued by the Secretaries of States of the individual states and, when requested, can usually receive the Apostille.

I don't think the Apostille expires, but I presented mine to migraciones less than sixty days after the date it received the Apostille, so I can't be absolutely certain.

Migraciones would not accept the "original" birth certificate my parents were given at the hospital when I was born.

Back