Birth Certificates for Residency

tomdesigns

Registered
Hi All!

Getting married in August here in Argentina I currently have all my docs coming from the US. I saw somewhere that I need 3 orginal birth certificates to apply for residency.. is that true?

Also I have been in the country for over 2 years with my girlfriend I read some posts about getting citizenship.. if you have been in the country two years without interuption. Is this possible?

FYI got my FBI background check back in only 3 weeks.. but I put a due date on the application. I was told if you put a due by date on the FBI background check application they will expediate your documents. Just a note for those of you getting your docs in order.

Thanks in Advance!

3 original copies? thats news to me.....
then i have to order 2 more.....:(

thank you for the FBI tip! i will def be doing this next month.

God, Id say bring 5 original birth certificates at least even though the US online ordering and delivery service was excellent I wish Id brought them all with me at the time..but my residency did take 6* years..you may be luckier in this new computerized world that is immigrations today.

6 years?!?!?!

i guess they were literally writing things on stone....wow.

fifs2 said:
God, Id say bring 5 original birth certificates at least even though the US online ordering and delivery service was excellent I wish Id brought them all with me at the time..but my residency did take 6* years..you may be luckier in this new computerized world that is immigrations today.

i ordered my birth certificate from panama (1 copy) and it has taken more than two months. i am still waiting for them to finish with the apostille....i can only imagine if i order 4 more....

ellbee said:
6 years?!?!?!

i guess they were literally writing things on stone....wow.

Please dont despair these were the "old " days of 2003 when there was 1 PC in immigraciones and it had 5 ash trays balanced on top. our memories and photos of those times seem incredible compared to now - it`s all partof the Bsas experience.

tomdesigns said:
Getting married in August here in Argentina I currently have all my docs coming from the US. I saw somewhere that I need 3 orginal birth certificates to apply for residency.. is that true?

If you only have one birth certificate, get it translated in Argentina by a licensed translator and be sure the translation is legalized. Then make several photocopies and have them "notarized' by an escribano. They have the same legal status as an original.

tomdesigns said:
Also I have been in the country for over 2 years with my girlfriend I read some posts about getting citizenship.. if you have been in the country two years without interuption. Is this possible?

It may also be possible evn if you left the county during those two years. The juzgada federal will look at the date of your first entry into Argentina.

You need a single original birth certificate to apply for residency. It must have an apostile seal and be translated by a sworn public translator in Argentina and be certified by the translators' college. You also need a photocopy of all pages, including certifications.

You should be allowed to keep the original, don't let anyone at migraciones take it off you.

I recently found out something really cool when getting citizenship for my kids -- it's possible to lodge, at least in provincia, foreign certificates (birth & marriage) with the archivo of registro civil. It takes 30 days and costs $40, and you get a certified copy after 30 days at no further charge. You can then obtain your birth certificate for use in Argentina from them for $10 any time you want and it's valid as if it were an original Argentine certificate!

It sure beats messing around with your home country and more stamps and translations for the times when you need originals later on.

ndcj said:
You need a single original birth certificate to apply for residency. It must have an apostile seal and be translated by a sworn public translator in Argentina and be certified by the translators' college. You also need a photocopy of all pages, including certifications.

Correct. I just applied for residency last month, and only one copy (an original) of the birth certificate is required.

I wrote about my experiences with getting married in Argentina and applying for residency on my blog. Perhaps these posts will be useful to you.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info that clearifies the birth certificate issue...

Back