Blacksmiths And The Artistic Metalwork In Buenos Aires

jcoe2001

Registered
Hi,

I am a lifelong blacksmith working in the USA and Europe , tango brought me to BsAs and now I am immersed in writing about BsAs' metalworkers and their origins. Have you seen a beautiful gate, elevator cage, balcony, that stands out?? ...so many around the city. Have you heard the name of a blacksmith, or know of an old shop still standing. ?? I'd love some tips to send me investigating. I hope to create a documentary film when I complete my research. Thanks for any ideas.

Jerry

Hi Jerry and welcome!

You are really one of a kind! I think you will find plenty of locations to film here since there is no rush toward modernity in Argentina, they rather save/paint the old stuff.

I think you should pay a visit to the Tigre/Nordelta area (car required) as I saw plenty of artisanal factories of furnitures and so you will likely find those making iron stuff and wooden stuff. I don't have a specific name but I am curious to see the outcome of your work!

In the meanwhile, you are welcome to join us at one of our Expats event. Check the dedicated forum section to know the next one!

Hi,

I am a lifelong blacksmith working in the USA and Europe , tango brought me to BsAs and now I am immersed in writing about BsAs' metalworkers and their origins. Have you seen a beautiful gate, elevator cage, balcony, that stands out?? ...so many around the city. Have you heard the name of a blacksmith, or know of an old shop still standing. ?? I'd love some tips to send me investigating. I hope to create a documentary film when I complete my research. Thanks for any ideas.

Jerry

I have been studying and taking pictures of the ironwork here for about seven years now.
There is, indeed, some great stuff.
I wrote an article about it a few years ago for my local Blacksmithing magazine, The Hot Iron News, and that article later ran in the Anvil's Ring, the magazine of Abana.
Not sure if the article is online or not- I will try attaching a copy.

Anyway-
A few must sees-
Both cemeteries- Recoleta, of course, but also Chacarita. A bunch of the ironwork in the cemeteries is cast and fabricated, but, sprinkled about is a fair amount of older, hand forged work.
The Natural Science Museum, at Parque Centenario- this building has really great iron and forged bronze work- almost all of it animals.
Galleria Guemes, on Florida, has wonderful forged and cast work- its an art noveau shopping galleria.
Walking the length of Avenida de Mayo is another place there is building after building of wonderful ironwork. Just walk from the Casa Rosada to the Congresso.
Walking around neighborhoods is the best way to stumble on stuff.
I have a lot of pictures of things I found just strolling.

There really are no good books just about ironwork, but the best books are the two books by Mimi Bohm- Buenos Aires Art Noveau, and Buenos Aires Art Deco. They are both hard to find and expensive, but well worth it.
this might work-
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/images/Buenos-Aires-Art-Nouveau-Spanish-Edition-for-android/free-1883210976/
she used to have her own website, but its dead now.
Friend me on facebook, I have dozens of photos there, including a lot of photos of a lot of architecture by the amazing Argentine architect Salamone. My name is Ries Niemi, I am the only one on facebook with that name.
buenosairesironwork_zps80681997.jpg

baironpg2_zps093170c0.jpg

baironpg3_zpsa27adc69.jpg

I'd like to join you in exploring some of the old forged ironwork in BsAs. I was struck by it when first here.

Hi!

I don't know if you have been to the Asociacion Amigos del Museo de Bellas Artes yet http://www.aamnba.com.ar/index.php , but I know that they have courses where they study historical buildings of BA - they can probably guide you in the right direction (although I think that Ries above just gave you more than enough! :).

Suerte!

I'd like to join you in exploring some of the old forged ironwork in BsAs. I was struck by it when first here.
You are welcome to join me when I am back in BA Oct 10. I can email this thread when I get to BA.

Love to have company on my walks. I will try to connect here when I arrive Oct 10-ish. My name is Jerry, what's yours? What's your work?

Hi!

I don't know if you have been to the Asociacion Amigos del Museo de Bellas Artes yet http://www.aamnba.com.ar/index.php , but I know that they have courses where they study historical buildings of BA - they can probably guide you in the right direction (although I think that Ries above just gave you more than enough! :).

Suerte!

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the Museo, will make a fun visit and informative too. Ries is being helpful, but the more eyes the better. Throw me an address if you see some outstanding work. Much appreciated. Will be a fun project.

Love to have company on my walks. I will try to connect here when I arrive Oct 10-ish. My name is Jerry, what's yours? What's your work?

Jerry

sent you a pm. Look forward to seeing you in October

Allan

Decorative or farrier type of blacksmith? If the latter, happy to introduce you to a bunch of farrier types although I don't know if they speak English. Do you have any spanish?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Expat Life 0
Back