Blue rate drop

TomAtAlki

Registered
My memory tells me that the blue rate always goes up in Dec and then drops immediately after the first of the year.

is my memory correct?

Thanks. T/

Past performance is not a great indicator of future results, especially regarding anything that goes up.

Just ask any married woman ;-).

PS: I think Perry's right. By March it is likely to be much higher. If it does drop a little in January, it won't stay down for long....

PS2: The blu rate (at least as reflected by Western Union), actually went down in December.

It was about $78 ARS at one point in November and in December it fell below $72 ARS .

As of yesterday, it was just over $73 ARS

Last edited:
I wasn't asking about the future, only about the past.

What do you remember?

T/

Perhaps this website shows only the official rates, but it looks like there was very little upward movement in December of 2018 or downward movement in January of 2019. I don't know if or why the dolar blu would have varied much more during the same two month period.

On December 3, 2018 the rates were $36,70/$38,73

On December 28, 2018 the rates were $36.96/$38/90

On January 31, 2019 the rates were $36.34/$38,27

This conversation prompted me to check the rate I'm getting with Schwab. After considering the refund of the ATM fee, this week I got only 58.62p per usd. Thats a big difference compared to what Western Unionion is giving.

I used to use Xoom but got fed up with the lines, the forms, the documents they wanted to see.

How much hassle is it to pick up money at Western Union?

By using a service like Western Union am I inviting trouble from AFIP?

Last edited:
I wasn't asking about the future, only about the past.

What do you remember?

gives you longer term historic movement of the blue rate

This conversation prompted me to check the rate I'm getting with Schwab. After considering the refund of the ATM fee, this week I got only 58.62p per usd. Thats a big difference compared to what Western Unionion is giving.

I used to use Xoom but got fed up with the lines, the forms, the documents they wanted to see.
How much hassle is it to pick up money at Western Union?

Wow, that's pretty crappy exchange with Schwab. No need for me to pursue that route anymore.

Yeah, Xoom/Paypal is rather annoying. And it has limits on the amount.

I tried testing out the WU website the other day. Technical issues with their online forms that prevented me from continuing. I need to give them a call.

I believe it depends on whether or not the funds are taxable "income" in Argentina and whether or not you declare it to AFIP and pay any applicable taxes...

...and whether or not they investigate you.

Back