Boliva bans coke.

scotttswan

Registered
http://www.rt.com/news/bolivia-ban-coca-cola-581/

In a symbolic rejection of US capitalism, Bolivia announced it will expel the Coca-Cola Company from the country at the end of the Mayan calendar. This will mark the end of capitalism and usher in a new era of equality, the Bolivian govt says.

I think it would be the end of Cristina if she tried the same here :D

That only means that the company that was making it locally in Bolivia is going to continue making it under a new name, howbout "Boli-Cola" perhaps with a similarly shaped bottle and rake in the dough. And maybe this time it'll have coke in it. ;) /Sarcasm

I used to sell Coca-Cola in my shop. Some of the sales reps were really awesome and they explained to me that while Coca-Cola is bottled and shipped all over the world, the soda syrup is exclusively manufactured in the USA and the recipe is a highly guarded corporate secret. I am really surprised that this didn't hold up production here with all of the importation problems lately.

Davidglen77 said:
I used to sell Coca-Cola in my shop. Some of the sales reps were really awesome and they explained to me that while Coca-Cola is bottled and shipped all over the world, the soda syrup is exclusively manufactured in the USA and the recipe is a highly guarded corporate secret. I am really surprised that this didn't hold up production here with all of the importation problems lately.

i don't think this is true as Coca Cola is made with corn syrup in America and sugar in many other places.

scotttswan said:
i don't think this is true as Coca Cola is made with corn syrup in America and sugar in many other places.

It's true. The syrup is just the flavoring. The sweetener and water are added afterwards, then the whole mess is carbonated.

I've been in S. American 6 years. 3 in Santa Cruz, Bolivia and 3 in Argentina. I used to drink Dr. Pepper and ocasionally Pepsi in the U.S.
I don't like the taste of coke in U.S. except fountain drinks.
So I didn't drink Coke when I first got to Bolivia. Although Coke tastes pretty much the same everywhere, the Bolivian Coca Cola got me hooked after awhile. I don't know what they have in it, but when I drink Argentine Coca-Cola, it's not the same. Hence I don't drink Coca-Cola anymore. By the way, Bolivia did start manufacturing a Cola with Coca around 3 years ago when I left, up in La Paz. I don't know if it's successful or not. Mark

There is "Cocaine Free" Coca in Coke today (from Wikipedia):

Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup, a significant dose; in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola once contained an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass. In 1903, it was removed.[40]

After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves – the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with trace levels of cocaine.[41] Coca-Cola now uses a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.

In the United States, the Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant,[42] which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca-Cola, the Stepan Company extracts cocaine from the coca leaves, which it sells to Mallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri, pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify cocaine for medicinal use.[43]

Back