Book set in Argentina

TomAtAlki

Registered
A friend recommended this book to me and it sounds interesting. A mystery set in Argentina, written in English, available on kindle. I haven't read it so no opinion.

"The Last British President"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P19X2VH

"a political thriller and conspiracy novel, set in Argentina"

Speaking of books set in Argentina, I've just begun reading The Purple Land by WH Hudson, an Anglo-Argentine. Published in 1885, it's a rather old book now. The plot is about a Britisher who marries an Argentine girl and they together flee to Uruguay and experience life there. The beginning bits I've read are exciting me quite a bit. I will update here with some thoughts in a few weeks, once I finish the book, but I'm now wondering if anyone here has read this book? It's so old, I really doubt anyone in this day and age has read it, but it does look very intriguing.

Speaking of books set in Argentina, I've just begun reading The Purple Land by WH Hudson, an Anglo-Argentine. Published in 1885, it's a rather old book now. The plot is about a Britisher who marries an Argentine girl and they together flee to Uruguay and experience life there. The beginning bits I've read are exciting me quite a bit. I will update here with some thoughts in a few weeks, once I finish the book, but I'm now wondering if anyone here has read this book? It's so old, I really doubt anyone in this day and age has read it, but it does look very intriguing.

The Purple Land is a very sinister book if read too late in life.

Good grief. If you want a book set in Argentina, a mystery or whatnot, why not try an Argentina author? Because --and this may come as a surprise-- Argentine writers have been producing notable literature for the past several hundreds of years. Read Claudia Pineiro! As far as Hudson is concerned, no sense in reading it when you can check out the movie version starring Tony Perkins that rates 28% on Rotten Tomatoes. Which gives you a clue.

Good grief. If you want a book set in Argentina, a mystery or whatnot, why not try an Argentina author? Because --and this may come as a surprise-- Argentine writers have been producing notable literature for the past several hundreds of years. Read Claudia Pineiro! As far as Hudson is concerned, no sense in reading it when you can check out the movie version starring Tony Perkins that rates 28% on Rotten Tomatoes. Which gives you a clue.

Hudson is Argentine

Hudson is Argentine
Hudson is Argentine
Technically. Hudson was an American, born of American parents in Argentina. He emigrated to GB in 1874, became a UK citizen in 1900 and never returned to Argentina. He is typically not included in surveys of Argentine literature. As I said earlier his minor successes were of a decided romantic, middle class appeal and are not treated as landmarks in Argentine literature.

I might add, if one is interested in this period, the much more interesting writer is Robert Cunningham-Graham. Cunningham-Graham was well-known as a cattle rancher in Argentina. He authored several very interesting works on South America, including studies of Hernando de Soto, Bernal Diaz del Castillo, and Jose Antonio Paez. His work: "A Brazilian mystic: being the life and miracles of Antonio Conselheiro" is well-worth a read for its review of a pivotal event in Brasilian history, the 'revolt' of Antonio das Mortes.

Back