Born in Argentina, raised in Canada. Hello!

vfl

Registered
Hey folks,
New to the forums here. Not sure if this technically counts as "expat", but I was born in Argentina and moved to Canada early with my family when I was around 7 years old. I came back once when I was still a kid, but hadn't been back since. I mainly speak and think in English, and though my castellano is pretty good, I often find myself pausing to think of how to translate certain words or phrases.

To make a long story short, I have returned to Argentina to visit for ~6 months after 20+ years living in Canada, and I'm still trying to orient myself here. I find myself in a very weird position where it seems like I don't technically belong fully as an Argentinian, but rather something in between that and a Canadian.

I don't really know anyone here besides my small family who lives in a rural town outside of the city, so I'm hoping to meet some folks and broaden my horizons! I'm really excited to be here, and so far my experience has felt viscerally familiar in an awesome way.

Welcome Vfl!

Regarding your feeling of in-between, I call that being "international". It's a lonely title culturally but not many have the privilege to experience it.

I was born in Denmark, but I'm not Danish. My citizenship was Belgian, but my native tongue was English.

When we moved to the USA from Belgium I was speaking French and had to go back to English.

Now I'm in Argentina speaking Spanish. You tell me where I belong...🤷‍♂️

Which Provincia are you residing in?

thanks, LuckyLuke! "international" has a much better ring to it -I like it 🙂

I'm currently in Buenos Aires and will be here for a few months. My goal is to explore the country a bit, though, so I will eventually make my way down to Patagonia, probably starting in Ushuaia or El Calafate, then doing some backpacking around there. I'd be curious if anyone has any recommendations as to companies or groups that I could sign up with around there too

I heard Mendoza is also very nice so was considering spending some time there too

Welcome to the club of the "citizens of the world".

cool, I'll definitely try to make it out to one of these :)

Back