Bribed by a Federal Police Officer

sesamosinsal

Registered
Today I went to go get my certificado de domicilio, asked if I could get it delivered quicker than Monday, and the guy wrote "1-0-0" on the edge of the paper. I was speechless, and just shocked by how he did it feet away from another person waiting behind me. He had no shame, and he was even smiling. Total impunity. I looked at it for a second. Without saying a word, I got up and left.

He pocketed my 10 pesos...(he actually put the bill in his pocket.)

First of all, you weren't really "bribed by a Federal Police officer" as the title of you thread indicates.To the officer, the question you asked implied that you were offering him a bribe. To cite a similar example, the "speed" at which an Argentine police report is available depends on how much you pay (and the rates are published). I think a $20 or $50 peso note produced (in hand) when asking the question would have been suffficient compensation...if you actually had any desire to pay for the expidited delivery. If the officer had demanded $100 pesos (or any amount over the ten pesos) for your certificate (regardless of delivery time) that would have been extortion, not bribery.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but the Argentine Federal Police have a bad enough reputation (often well deserved) already. We don't need to accuse them of additional misdeeds by (inadvertantly) using inappropriate terms. If I had been in your shoes I would have said, "No, gracias, puedo esperar." (just to be polite after seeing the cost of the quick service).

As for him pocketing the ten pesos, I think that's SOP. I (vaguely) remember this happening in most (if not all) of the times I requested a certificado de domicilo. Thr officer who took the money always entered my details on a list and afixed a stamp to the certificado. Perhps they actually prepay for the stamps they use...or settle up at the end of the day.

My Argentine partner has lived here all of his life, and it's the first time he's seen it happen. It's the first time it's happened to me personally. I'm fully aware that it happens quite often, and I never implied otherwise. The snotty comments are not necessary.

Steve, please accept my sincere apologies for my poor word choice. You obviously understood what I meant, but I appreciate the correction. He wanted me to pay him off for the "quick service," which I wasn't going to do. What he was doing was illegal, and he knew that. He initially put both of his hands down showing his 10 fingers. I said that I didn't understand. He then proceeded to write the "1-0-0" on the paper. He did so intentionally so he wouldn't have to say it aloud.

bradlyhale said:
My Argentine partner has lived here all of his life, and it's the first time he's seen it happen. It's the first time it's happened to me personally. I'm fully aware that it happens quite often, and I never implied otherwise. The snotty comments are not necessary.

Steve, please accept my sincere apologies for my poor word choice. You obviously understood what I meant, but I appreciate the correction. He wanted me to pay him off for the "quick service," which I wasn't going to do. What he was doing was illegal, and he knew that. He initially put both of his hands down showing his 10 fingers. I said that I didn't understand. He then proceeded to write the "1-0-0" on the paper. He did so intentionally so he wouldn't have to say it aloud.

Well I'm surprised that someone born and raised there has never seen this before. The first two years there I paid about $2700 in bribes(mostly extortion's really) and not to just the police. This is part of the cost of living that the NYT misses in their articles. I wonder what the experience of other people have been in this department.

Argentines are used to bribing people and asking for bribery. But 100 is outrageous.

They always keep the $ 10 in their pockets, that's just standard procedure. Obviously, don't even ask for a receipt.

angelskywalker said:
Argentines are used to bribing people and asking for bribery. But 100 is outrageous.

They always keep the $ 10 in their pockets, that's just standard procedure. Obviously, don't even ask for a receipt.

Probably spotted him as a Gringo, my wife never let me speak and most of the time tried to keep me out of sight, knowing the price would go up if they knew I was a Gringo.

Next time wait your turn like everyone else. If you want preferential treatment, expect to pay for it.

He was being discrete, not hysterical like you.

bradlyhale said:
He initially put both of his hands down showing his 10 fingers. I said that I didn't understand. He then proceeded to write the "1-0-0" on the paper. He did so intentionally so he wouldn't have to say it aloud.

Back