Bring cats back to the UK - Micro Chipping Pets

niceguypaddy

Registered
We are planning a move to the UK in the next 6 months and I want to get moving on the process of getting our cats (2) micro chipped, vaccinated and certified for travel so that we can get them into the UK without the 6 month quarantine being applied.
My biggest issue is finding a Vet here that can provide all that is needed at this end and has experience with preparing animals for international travel.
Does anyone have any experience of this? Any forums or companies that take care of it this end?
Thanks a million,
Paddy

Hi Paddy
If you google Defra PETS schemes, it will come up with all the info you need. I haven't done this yet but did quite a bit of research into bringing my cats into the UK should the need arise.
I know that there was a part in all of the PETS paperwork that listed certified vets...and absolutely none of them were in Argentina! It did, however, list an Argentine veterinary organisation that you should contact to find out more - so I'm certain its not impossible.
Also, keep in mind that the process takes a full six months from microchipping and vaccination...to testing for rabies and certifying the animal - so it will probably be about 7/8 months in total. Still much, much better than quarantine though.
Let me know how you do...
Ashley xx

Thanks for the info, I have contacted the Sociedad de Medicina Veterinaria Argentina so I hope they can point me in the direction of a good vet that has experience and is certified in all of this. We have 6 months before we travel so I am happy to have the chance to save the little critters 6 months in quarantine, it would be very tough on them.
Ill let you know how we get on!
Thanks,
Paddy

Is anyone aware whether the process for this is so stringent for the US?

sam3g said:

I have some British friends that are amazed by how easy it is to bring animals into the U.S., so I'm guessing probably not?

Well I guess theoretically, a cat could walk to the US from here. It's not an island like Britain (or the more famously protected Australia).

It is not nearly as difficult to bring pets into the U.S. unless you bring them through Hawaii where a 6mo quarrantine is mandatory (it is definitely something to do with the Islands). Normal airline travel through any mainland city you would need to have your pet up on all their vaccinations, have said vaccination record translated (and certified? I haven't done this yet, just the initial research since I'll be traveling with one cat towards the end of this year) and to make sure that your cat is in good health at the time of travel. You may have to check with your particular airline to see if they have any addtional requirements, but it's pretty straightforward (luckily!) for the States.

To Ashley and Paddy, it warms my heart to see loving people adopting pets here FOR LIFE and going through the necessary motions to keep your furry friends as a part of your new family. Kudos. :)

sam3g said:

No. The dreadful process is primarily isolated to island based countries with quarantines (rabies). The US is easy. Goto a vet in Argentina and get 2 certificates (1 general health, 1 for proof of being parasite free). Then head to SENASA with both docs, rabies vaccination certificate, and a passport copy. Process takes all of 15-30 minutes. When you land, it's a smooth process.

In the US, it's more complicated. You need to get a USDA Aphis 7001 form filled out by your vet. You then need to get the certificate certified by the USDA. It's great if you live in LA or one of the other 50 or so cities that have the USDA vet offices. But many don't. For instance, in NY, you have Albany and Jamaica Plains...so you have to head well into Queens (near JFK) to do this. If you are in say, San Francisco, the closest office is in Sacramento. Surprisingly, many of the major cities don't have offices. Which means you need to FedEx the documents for the USDA (form 7001, rabies certificate, passport copy) with a prepaid FedEx form. But it's always a risk...if they are busy one day and can't get to your paperwork, it might mean if you're traveling, that it would get sent someplace you are no longer at.

starlucia said:
I have some British friends that are amazed by how easy it is to bring animals into the U.S., so I'm guessing probably not?

And for many countries it's the same ease. It's actually an interesting topic. It's "Easy" but still more work than a person has to do for themselves, their children, etc. How often have we been on flights with a sick person sitting next to us, or sick kids. Depending on the places you visit, these illnesses aren't as simple as a common cold. Yet there is no process required for humans to prove they are healthy and not contaminating another country. Yet with pets, it's this big to-do. It seems odd to complain about the process here since it's oddly very easy and organized. But it's still a few hours of ones time for a pet, while there are no worries about people.

and point on about Australia. But their issues are their own fault by intentionally importing all those cain toads...fogetting the basics or the birds and the bees and that they'd multiply.

Back