Bringing a blender to BA

tez

Registered
Hello all. I'm visiting the US and want to take a blender back with me, but I am wondering if I will even be able to use it down there, with regards to the power voltage. I have a power adapter but I have noticed that while it helps with some things, it didn't help with some things, like a hair dryer or curler. Am I going to have the same problem with my blender? Volts on the bottom say for 120 volts so I am pretty sure I will have to use the adapter, but is it worth it? It's a great Made in USA (*mostly) Waring, but maybe I should just shell out a little extra cash for a blender in Arg for less hassle?

Has anyone brought back small household electrics like this, and have they worked well?

Thank you.

it will work but only for about 10 seconds until it explodes..haha
well I wouldnt bring anything other than a laptop and an ipod since they can work with 110-220
you can find a blender for 400 pesos down here..... it might not be as nice as what you have from the USA.. but to me bringing something even that big in luggage then having to use an adapter etc.. it just isnt worth it.... of course I say this and I do have a desktop computer I use that I brought down and I havent had any trouble with a 500 watt adaptor that I use to run it....
well good luck with whatever you decide... and make some margaritas!!! cheers

You can get an adapter and it will work. But yeah, maybe not worth the trouble.

They work perfectly with a transformer. Buy one that handles the proper voltage and watts. That's it.

An ADAPTOR will do nothing for you, it simply allows you to plug the blender into it and then you plug the adaptor into the wall... adapting the shape of your plug to the shape of the Argentine outlet.

A TRANSFORMER is what you need. A transformer is a big old heavy box that you plug your item into and then it sends the current through the big old heavy box and transforms the voltage from your 120 to Argentina's 220v...

Ok not exactly the most scientific explanation but hopefully helps you remember what does what.

I have my blender here that I bought in North America. Our transformer was a couple hundred pesos at the time we bought it I believe. We have a few different kitchen gadgets that we use it for, it just sits on our counter -- it doesn't take up too much space but it is full of lead so you don't want to have to move it around all the time. It's about 8inches cubed.

There's a store I think on Libertad that sells all the stuff -- Casa del transformador or something like that -- I'm sure you can find info for it on the forum, otherwise I'll ask my husband what it's called again.

Transformers are not full of lead.
They are steel cores, wrapped with copper wire, and, they take the 220 volts from the wall in Argentina, and TRANSFORM them down to 110 for your blender.

You need to size the transformer to the electrical device it is supplying- which means you need to know the watts the device uses, and make sure your transformer is big enough.

They make them in all sizes, from itty bitty for a laptop (built into the wall wart, usually) to truly enormous for industrial equipment.

Most electronics stores or electrical oriented hardware stores in BA have a wide selection of transformers.
If you dont understand anything about electricity, take your blender with you to the transformer store, to make sure you get the right size.
Too small of a transformer, and you can burn up your appliance, or your transformer, or both. Too big, and you spend more money than you need- transformers are not cheap.

I have run all kinds of US stuff on transformers, works fine. A good friend has a mixmaster he makes the most amazing baked goods on, using a transformer. We recently brought him the ice cream making attachment for it, cheap at Macy's, impossible to find at any price in Argentina.

I wouldn't bring a blender either unless you have some sentimental attachment to it. I bought mine in Coto for 149 pesos. It's a philips with 3 speeds and a pulse button. Works great! Also has a 2 year warranty.

It's just not worth it for one small appliance like a blender. If you are going to run 6 items then bring a wire mould strip from Home Depot and buy a 2000 watt transformer and run all of the kitchen apps off of one strip.

I agree that its probably not worth bringing it down because you can find nice one's here for not much more. That said, I did bring down my old trusty blender when I came and am glad I did. I had to get the proper transformer and it works fine. It was something that I really wanted to have here with me and was probably as much emotional attachment as anything else.

Back