Bringing a dog back to the US

mmoon

Registered
Does anyone have experience with bringing a dog back to the United States from Argentina? Our dog is from the US, and only needed to have a current rabies shot to get into Argentina. ("Current" meant it had been administered within 14 days of leaving the States.) Besides another rabies shot, I'm not sure what she needs in order to be accepted back to the States. Does the shot have to be administered by a particular type of vet? Is there additional paperwork we need to get?
I appreciate the assistance.

We take our dogs to the states once a year (spend 2 months a year there). They are American dogs and we have been doing this for going on 6 years.

In addition to the rabies shot paperwork, you need a paper from Senasa basically saying your rabies shot is valid and the dog(s) are legal for travel. The same applies for other animals by the way. Even to Uruguay. They will also give you a copy for returning with the dogs but I have never paid at EZE as I always manage to sneak past.

You have to obtain the paperwork 10 days or less before you leave. Tell your vet you need to go to Senasa to leave the country and he/she should prepare the paperwork to go. As always it takes time as all bureaucratic offices here so give yourself 3 hours to go.

Some vets, including mine, will go there for you for a fee. Mine charges $100 and I think my time is more valuable so I now pay them, but I have done it myself many times.

Here is their official site: http://www.senasa.gov.ar/indexhtml.php

Thanks for the great information Vanessa. Do you mind sharing the name of your vet? I would love to work with someone who knows the system and can save me the hassle of dealing with the bureaucracy.

How horrible that I dont know his name off the top of my head. My dog was so sick for a while I was going twice a week. :rolleyes:

I will find out the name tomorrow (need to go walk by) but it is on Salguero and Figueroa Alcorta, about 1/2 a block away from Alcorta next to a chino (mini-supermarcado) called "K-Mart".

Also I realized was $100 pesos last time I went (in May); I cannot promise the price hasn't gone up. They will need a copy of the shots plus a copy of your passport for Senasa.

Hi Vanessa,

Very useful info. I will go back to Canada with my Canadian cat and I was looking for a vet that can do the Senasa portion as it is terrible the waiting, plus sometimes you have to go back to pick the certificate the next day. The money spent in taxis is well worth it to give it to the vet in charge of this tramite. So please, if you can post it here or my e mail [email protected]. Thank you a lot!

Ok I got the info: Veterinaria Wimpi alcorta, Salguero 3090, Tel. 4805-9010. I dont really make an appointment ever, I just walk it.

Back