''bringing A Spouse And Kids Into The Uk''

TWB103

Registered
After 6 years here in the Argentina, my Argentine wife and I (a Brit) with kid from her previous marriage plus our own little creation are considering moving to the UK.

Does anyone have any experience with this in recent years?

The UK has what must be now amongst the strictest immigration requirements in the world. Thanks Dave! I was born in the UK as were my parents and have lived most of my life there yet I/we'd be treated exactly the same as an aspiring migrant (and his his family) who is the distant cousin of a recently naturalised Brit.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Spend a couple years in Spain, have your wife get the Spanish citizenship (she can apply after 2 years of residing there thanks her being Argentine) and then move to the UK on a EU passport. Oh well, unless the Brexit do really happen by then.

Spend a couple years in Spain, have your wife get the Spanish citizenship (she can apply after 2 years of residing there thanks her being Argentine) and then move to the UK on a EU passport. Oh well, unless the Brexit do really happen by then.

Yes its a bit of a gamble to presume the UK will still be in the EU in 2 yrs.

Having said that do you know what the requirements are currently for emmigrating directly to Spain instead (I guess it'd be similar to Italy)?

Well it's been many years since I took the wife to the UK. I don't believe the procedure has changed much although I have heard the cost you have to pay has increased by quite an amount.

Your best bet is to get in touch with the UK Consulate in BA and take it from there. I had to show not only proof of our relationship but provide evidence of my personal finances back in the UK...they do like you to show you are capable of supporting her and in your case the kids as well. Up to date bank statements as well as proof of employment, accommodation etc. You can do all this back in the UK if she enters as a tourist but you are advised to get the permanent residence status sorted out before leaving as it's less hassle.
I had assumed as a UK Citizen that my wife would automatically qualify for permanent residence without us having to go through all the interview process so I was quite taken aback with it all.

I will say that a British friend of mine who has been married to his Arg wife for 7 or 8 years moved from here, took a job in Spain and then got a job in the UK. They went to the UK where he owns a home, had a job, etc and in the end, her visa application was denied. They wound up having to leave the UK.

I will say that a British friend of mine who has been married to his Arg wife for 7 or 8 years moved from here, took a job in Spain and then got a job in the UK. They went to the UK where he owns a home, had a job, etc and in the end, her visa application was denied. They wound up having to leave the UK.

Sounds to me as if there might be more to that story than meets the eye.

Well it's been many years since I took the wife to the UK. I don't believe the procedure has changed much although I have heard the cost you have to pay has increased by quite an amount.

I had assumed as a UK Citizen that my wife would automatically qualify for permanent residence without us having to go through all the interview process so I was quite taken aback with it all.

It's truly offensive that I have to go through all these hoops to bring my wife and my kid into my country. I get that there are sham marriages and women planning to give birth in the UK to win their citizenship etc but there had to be a better way of going about this, not simply tarring all with the same brush and providing just one universal application category. If Labour get into power at the next election this would be one of the first policies they'd scrap. A number of people are trying to bring the Home Office to court on the grounds that its an unjust, inhumane process

Hi TWB, I am living in the UK at the moment.
is there any way your wife can get an Italian citizenship?
For you to bring her here, if she comes as Argie, the best option is you coming over first, having a salary and it depends on how many kids you have, the more, the more money it requires for you to be earning.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:
  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child

I know you are english so you don't need anyone telling you how you live here, but let me tell you something about living here with kids.
I am not sure how old your kids are, are they school age? if not, think that a day care will cost you no less than 600 a month, a child minder around the same, and you have to provide food and bring them over, if you are late by 5 minutes, they charge you a full hour.
The government provides 16 hours a week funded when they are I think that 3 or 4 year old.
If your wife wont be able to work due to the high cost of child care, she might as well enter as Argentinian, and here is why:
If you bring a EU wife you will not be able to sponsor her because an english person can't sponsor a EU member, and since you are married, she cannot apply as EU member for residency in her own right, she would apply as the spouse of a Brit, who has LESS rights inside the UK than any EU member.
When you move here with her as argentinian, she would be sponsored by you, so no problem, just showing that you lived together, the money it costs and the money you need to get in a job to sponsor her. and if she enters as a EU member, she will HAVE to apply for a private health insurance because home office doesn't count the NHS when you apply to permanent residency, (this is if she doesn't work, if she does, she will not need a private health insurance).
Anyway, I think the best option is as argentinian and you moving first to the UK.
Another thing, don't go to Spain and get anything, by the time you get there, and she applies for anything, we will be out of the EU.
At the moment, things are BAD here, prices are raising, health is BAD, racism is growing more and more, or at least, its showing. I live in Berkshire, and here its conservative, it is not nice at the moment.

Any questions just ask me, I can find out some things for you. I know all this because I am Argentinian, and Italian, I am married to an English guy and after 2 years here, I cannot apply for permanent residency as EU because I am a housewife and many people are finding out now that you need private health care to apply for residency. nobody knew because everyone thought just to use the NHS and since we were entitled to stay, nobody bothered to apply for any formal residency paper, this is all coming out now. People married for 20 years to brits, with grandchildren and denied permanent residency because they didn't really know all that it required.

Sounds to me as if there might be more to that story than meets the eye.

There's really not - I've known them both forever - well, right after they got married Apparently the UK gov't had questions about whether she was just using him for a visa for the UK and denied on that basis. Despite again - being married for 7 years. Total and utter BS - he (the UK citizen) is still incredibly bitter about it. They wound up moving to Chile because he got a great job there after.

Hi TWB, I am living in the UK at the moment.
is there any way your wife can get an Italian citizenship?
For you to bring her here, if she comes as Argie, the best option is you coming over first, having a salary and it depends on how many kids you have, the more, the more money it requires for you to be earning.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:
  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child
I know you are english so you don't need anyone telling you how you live here, but let me tell you something about living here with kids.
I am not sure how old your kids are, are they school age? if not, think that a day care will cost you no less than 600 a month, a child minder around the same, and you have to provide food and bring them over, if you are late by 5 minutes, they charge you a full hour.
The government provides 16 hours a week funded when they are I think that 3 or 4 year old.
If your wife wont be able to work due to the high cost of child care, she might as well enter as Argentinian, and here is why:
If you bring a EU wife you will not be able to sponsor her because an english person can't sponsor a EU member, and since you are married, she cannot apply as EU member for residency in her own right, she would apply as the spouse of a Brit, who has LESS rights inside the UK than any EU member.
When you move here with her as argentinian, she would be sponsored by you, so no problem, just showing that you lived together, the money it costs and the money you need to get in a job to sponsor her. and if she enters as a EU member, she will HAVE to apply for a private health insurance because home office doesn't count the NHS when you apply to permanent residency, (this is if she doesn't work, if she does, she will not need a private health insurance).
Anyway, I think the best option is as argentinian and you moving first to the UK.
Another thing, don't go to Spain and get anything, by the time you get there, and she applies for anything, we will be out of the EU.
At the moment, things are BAD here, prices are raising, health is BAD, racism is growing more and more, or at least, its showing. I live in Berkshire, and here its conservative, it is not nice at the moment.

Any questions just ask me, I can find out some things for you. I know all this because I am Argentinian, and Italian, I am married to an English guy and after 2 years here, I cannot apply for permanent residency as EU because I am a housewife and many people are finding out now that you need private health care to apply for residency. nobody knew because everyone thought just to use the NHS and since we were entitled to stay, nobody bothered to apply for any formal residency paper, this is all coming out now. People married for 20 years to brits, with grandchildren and denied permanent residency because they didn't really know all that it required.

Wow.. alot to consider and concern myself with! Thanks.

Back