Bringing household items, car in duty free?

Sleuth

Registered
Can anyone give me more information about having the ability to bring in household items and a car/motorcycle duty free? Is this when you become a permanent resident?

I have heard about this in the past, but do not know the details.

Also, I have heard there is a company that will ship all your household items at their expense in exchange for you bringing in a car duty-free under your name that they hold and then resell. Anyone know more about that too?

Thanks for any advice.

The company willing to ship your stuff for free in exchange for a car sounds illegal and I would avoid this. There was a big scandal a couple of years ago here where diplomats were importing cars duty free which were then resold.

gouchobob said:
The company willing to ship your stuff for free in exchange for a car sounds illegal and I would avoid this. There was a big scandal a couple of years ago here where diplomats were importing cars duty free which were then resold.

From what I remember being told, there is a 10-12 month waiting period before a car can be resold when you bring it in duty free. The company supposedly garages it and waits that time before reselling it, thus making it legal.

Sleuth said:
From what I remember being told, there is a 10-12 month waiting period before a car can be resold when you bring it in duty free. The company supposedly garages it and waits that time before reselling it, thus making it legal.

My recollection of the process is that it assumes you get permanent residency which in the past is a multi-year process and that the waiting period for resale for the vehicle begins after you have residency which I believe is an additional 2 years more. I doubt the government there would see this as legal as it's an obvious way of evading taxes. However, in Argentina anything is possible.

Motor Vehicles

http://www.gemrelocations.com/shippingtoargentina.html

Diplomats are permitted to import used or new autos

Used autos can be imported by Argentinean returning citizens (abroad for at least two years) or immigrants with residence in Argentina

Importation of new autos is subject to Ministry of Commerce Administrative regulations and are limited to certain makes and models (consult Destination Agent for specifics prior to forwarding)

Autos for private use are subject to duty

One auto per adult (21 years old or older), two per family

Auto must have been registered in customer's name and must have been purchased or transferred to customer a minimum of three months prior to arrival of customer in Argentina

Auto must not be sold for at least one year after clearance

Auto must be imported within six months of customer's arrival

Documents required:
Original Purchase Invoice
Title
Certificate of Residence
Original Passport
Original license
Certification from an Argentine Consulate, establishing that customer has been living in country of origin during the last 12 months (this certificate is mandatory)

A "CERTIFICADO DE PRE-EMBARQUE" (Pre/Shipment Inspection Certificate) is required for the importation of automobiles and/or motorcycles.

2 Original Ocean Bill of Ladings must be in Shipper's name

Separate Ocean Bills of Lading are required-one for household goods and one for the auto (even if the household goods and auto are both in container)

Returning citizens or importers with a permanent visa will pay duties of 78.20% on CIF value.

Auto cannot be picked up from customs unless the duties have been paid.

Argentine citizens returning who might have entered a move a long time ago, or importers with old residence in Argentina may not import a motor vehicle.

An Argentine citizen who has already imported an auto previously may not import a second auto.

Thanks for the info. I have a temporary residence now and should have a permanent residence in November. I'm wondering how it works in regards to their whole living abroad for 12 months, and moving it in within 6 months? I wonder if it is from when you get the permanent residence?

Sleuth said:
Thanks for the info. I have a temporary residence now and should have a permanent residence in November. I'm wondering how it works in regards to their whole living abroad for 12 months, and moving it in within 6 months? I wonder if it is from when you get the permanent residence?

You need to bring your goods in with you within the first 6 months of your initial temp residency.

mini said:
You need to bring your goods in with you within the first 6 months of your initial temp residency.

Are you sure about this? It says if you have a temp, you need to pay a "Guarantee" which is not needed with a permanent.

Sleuth said:
Are you sure about this? It says if you have a temp, you need to pay a "Guarantee" which is not needed with a permanent.

Yes. As a temp resident you don't "pay taxes" but you do pay a refundable guarantee until you either become permanent or you remove the goods from the country. You have 6 months to bring in your stuff.

Now, do you have another 6 months to bring in your stuff once you move from temp to perm?? I don't know, but I've never heard of such a thing.

mini said:
Yes. As a temp resident you don't "pay taxes" but you do pay a refundable guarantee until you either become permanent or you remove the goods from the country. You have 6 months to bring in your stuff.

Now, do you have another 6 months to bring in your stuff once you move from temp to perm?? I don't know, but I've never heard of such a thing.

This site explains it well:

http://www.exportainer.com/import_requeriments_en.htm

(It doesn't look like it's possible to import a vehicle without paying a very high duty.)

ALIENS ENTERING ARGENTINA WITH A TEMPORARY RESIDENCE VISA: These may bring into the country one or more shipments (while they have a temporary visa) of personal belongings and used household goods under temporary admission according to the present guaranty system : The belongings must be guaranteed to the local customs authorities for the duration of the visa by means of a signed guaranty with a registered company signing as guarantor, or by a security policy, local bonds, moneys, etc.. The guaranty may be renewed for the same extension as the visa. - If at the expiry date of the guaranty the temporary visa has not been renewed or the permanent visa obtained, the goods must be nationalized (import taxes paid on them) or be re-exported.

Once the Permanent Residence Visa has been obtained this must be presented at Customs. The guaranty is thus annulled and the goods brought in under it are nationalized, tax free – These aliens are also allowed to bring in a shipment of used household goods within six months of date in which the Permanent Residence Visa was issued.

When shipper leaves Argentina, if no permanent residence visa was obtained during his/her permanence in Argentina, he/she must either ship out all items originally brought in (they entered under a temporary permit) or nationalize them (import taxes paid on them). Once this has been complied with, the required documentation is presented to Customs and the Guaranty is annulled.

ALIENS WITH A PERMANENT RESIDENCE VISA AND/OR RETURNING ARGENTINE CITIZENS who have been residing abroad for over one year and not visited Argentina for an aggregate stay of over 60 days during the 365 days prior to his/her entry to Argentina (to reside) may bring a shipment of personal belongings and used household goods into Argentina free of duties. – They should obtain a Certificate of Residence from the nearest Argentine Consulate in the country they are moving from. This is especially important for shippers moving from neighbouring countries (Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil and Uruguay).

AUTOMOBILES AND MOTORCYCLES:
a) Argentine citizens returning to reside, and foreigners coming to reside with a Permanent Resident Visa, may import one (1) automobile and/or one (1) motorcycle. These must pay duties of approx. 80% (for petrol engines) and 100% (for diesel engines) of C.I.F. value (cost, insurance and freight). These may not be sold for one year.
b) Passengers with a Temporary Residence Visa may bring in one (1) automobile and/or one (1) motorcycle under a temporary permit for 8 months, renewable."

Back