Bringing Large Electronics By Plane

jurarol

Registered
Does anybody have any expierence bringing larger items, like TV or small kitchen appliances at EZE? Do they give you a hard time? I believe you declare it and have to pay 50% of whatever exceeds the $300. Are electrodomesticos even alowed? (like a cooktop) Any experience? Please share

I was told by customs that you can't bring appliances that qualify as "linea blanca". Bringing a TV should not be a problem when you declare it.

Never had a problem. Big monitor computers, sewing machine, countertop kitchen appliances, stereo, computer routers, tools, you name it.
Maybe 15 trips, over five years.
With a US passport, they have never done more than glance at the x ray machine.

I take new things out of their boxes, remove stickers, etc.

I just brought a large mixer (kitchenAid alike) for my mother on carry on. I filled up the custom form. Luggage went through xray machines and no one stopped me or asked me anything. I guess it is just luck, since I saw other passengers getting their bags opened.

I had with me original receipts just in case although I understand that the value of goods assigned by customs is not what you paid but what they think the product/s is worth. I imagine it is arguable. Maybe someone here can confirm this is the case for sure.

Large items like TV boxes naturally they will ask for custom declaration form: http://tinyurl.com/3aj4h78

My 2 cents. Have noticed some local retailers giving a good discount for paying in cash and with the blue rate, prices are not all that bad when the numbers are crunched: sticker shock. Plus, all the hassle/expense with the airlines and the anxiety does not make it such a good deal to bring big stuff in my view. What ever floats your boat.

Good Luck.

Last week I brought in two industrial size refrigerators and a restaurant oven (had to pay for extra bags but worth it) Flashed my Tongan passport - no problems. Other poor devils had their bags opened though.

So, no refrigerators?
According to AFIP: no. When I crossed the border coming from Chile a while ago they wanted to confiscate my portable A/C that I had bought. They mentioned that the whole thing would have been easier if I had stayed under the $150 tax free limit with the appliance.

Back