Bringing Woodshop/construction Tools?

devinthekain

Registered
Hey gang

I'm making the move down with my wife and child soon. My wife is an Argentinian citizen who just got a position in the UVA physics department.

We've been doing some research about bringing our belongings with us and apparently we're allowed to bring all our stuff (including washing machine, dishwasher, etc...) without paying import taxes but we've read that things like my woodworking tools are prohibited - that they can't be "de taller / industria".
We've been told that hand tools, even electric ones are ok but we're wondering about larger tools like a portable table saw, chop saw or planer?

We planned on remodeling the apartment her grandmother left to her upon arrival and would need these tools to do so.

Not sure how complicated this is or if there's any way to explain to customs that these aren't for commercial purposes?

Attached are a couple pics of the tools I wanted to bring. (Table Saw and Planer) I can post more images if that's helpful too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20170309_115237919.jpg
    IMG_20170309_115237919.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 16
  • Wen Planer.jpg
    Wen Planer.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19
Hey gang

I'm making the move down with my wife and child soon. My wife is an Argentinian citizen who just got a position in the UVA physics department.

We've been doing some research about bringing our belongings with us and apparently we're allowed to bring all our stuff (including washing machine, dishwasher, etc...) without paying import taxes but we've read that things like my woodworking tools are prohibited - that they can't be "de taller / industria".
We've been told that hand tools, even electric ones are ok but we're wondering about larger tools like a portable table saw, chop saw or planer?

We planned on remodeling the apartment her grandmother left to her upon arrival and would need these tools to do so.

Not sure how complicated this is or if there's any way to explain to customs that these aren't for commercial purposes?

Attached are a couple pics of the tools I wanted to bring. (Table Saw and Planer) I can post more images if that's helpful too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Coming from New York? Will these guys like 220V/50Hz?

I think not. Better buy a powerful transformer. I think given the size of the stuff you are looking at a several-thousand-worth transformer.

I checked on this recently as I was looking at bringing some music equipment down. If the equipment has an external transformer like a laptop or keyboard then most likely you just need the plug adaptor and not a transformer. You can look on the equipment in question near where the power goes in or on the external transformer. It will give either a single input number or a range of numbers. If the available power falls in the range of numbers you are OK.
Ultimately we decided not to ship stuff because shipping costs verses the price of equipment didn't make sense.

Most larger power tools like the one's you have listed/shown are easily convertible to 220v.....they are designed for an easy conversion....just re-position a couple of wires....since you are bringing a number of large, heavy items, bringing a generator which would also solve your problem.

I am a tool user- in fact, I own more tools than you can imagine.
So I frequent tool stores.
It is absolutely true that stationary power tools like your table saw are expensive in Argentina, and selection is poor.
If you like that saw, bring it.
In fact, I would be buying better ones in the US, and bringing em down.
Both the tools you show are low end consumer models- and there will be zero parts availibility when they inevitably crap out.
If I was you, I would buy higher quality, but still "homeowner" level tools, and bring em down with you.
Its easy enough to find 220v versions of this sort of thing in the USA.
these guys stock Makita, Bosch, and other better brands in 220v.
http://www.worldwide...-220-volts.html
Its harder to find a tiny planer like the one you show in 220, you would have to step up to a cast iron version.

You can run these tools on a transformer- but bigger transformers get more expensive.
There is no shortage of transformers in Argentina- everybody uses em.

I would recommend bringing quality hand power tools, and hand tools, as well.
There are some good tools made in Argentina- decent hammers, wrenches, and other drop forged steel tools.
But electric tools, both hand and stationary, are almost all imported, and double the prices you are used to, with limited selection.
And some tools are just unknown.
If you have a standard set of tools you work with, by all means, bring em.
I have brought down tools every time I come, slowly adding to my selection.
I did buy a very nice Metabo 220volt hammer drill here, about 8 years ago, when the dollar was still strong, at a price that was comparable with the USA. That drill today is double US prices.

A small Honda generator is not a bad idea at all- again, local prices are double what you are used to, and quality and selection are poor.
Anything like that you can ship in your allowed goods, you should go for.
Paying for new stuff, now, at US prices, will save you a LOT of money over waiting, and buying in Argentina later.
This goes for electronics, appliances, and tools.

Anything imported is going to be crazy expensive.
Anything you can find that is made in Argentina will be better- and, even now, with all the inflation, some argentine products are still cheaper than the US. But fewer and fewer every month- 40% annual inflation does that.

Used tools and machinery in Argentina are ridiculously expensive. Many shops use ancient tools, or really crappy homeowner level stuff, and still pay thru the nose for them.
I was in a shop a few weeks ago that makes shelving, and they do a pretty fair volume- 2 guys, full time. They were using a really small homeowner level table saw and drill press- in a shop in the USA that would have a few tons of cast iron industrial machines, theirs were stamped sheet metal and plastic, because the good stuff is rare and expensive.

Here is a classic example.
Relatively small, low quality Dewalt table saw.

US price- $300. USD
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW745-10-Inch-Job-Site-Capacity/dp/B000HXT2N6

Mercado Libre price, Argentina, $16,000 AR pesos - $1000 USD
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-612918835-sierra-circular-de-banco-mesa-ingletadora-dewalt-1700w-dw745-_JM

Ries, are you doing work for others or just for yourself? I have some remodeling to do.

In argentina, I only do my own small home repairs, and, mostly, my own artwork.
My main shop, with several thousand square feet of metal and woodworking shop, is in the USA.
so, no, I dont do any work for others in argentina.
If you need a few hundred thousand dollars worth of custom forged stainless steel ornamental iron work, I could maybe be persuaded...

Back