Brining a Police Record?

TX_Traveler

Registered
I have been told to bring a police record if I am interested in possibly getting a job. Should this report be from the city that I currently live in or is there a country wide report here in the states?

I think they require police records covering the past five years. If you've been in a single location for the past five years, you could probably get records from the State. Because I lived in 3 US cities in the last five years, I got my FBI records instead. Let me know if you need help figuring that out.

Yes bring a Police record with you if you want to get a job.

They are crazy for that stuff out here. Infact anything from the 80's goes down really well. I got my job by taking a Duran Duran record but I know another guy who was forced to part with a rare Depeche Mode 12 inch before he finally got his job! Outrageous.

Just for your info they are now starting to accept CD's in some of the high tech companies.

TX_Traveler said:
I have been told to bring a police record if I am interested in possibly getting a job. Should this report be from the city that I currently live in or is there a country wide report here in the states?

FBI Background check is what I needed for my residency and required getting my fingerprints taken. My local background investigation in the USA was not that helpful here. I wish I would have done everything before I arrived here.

JHB1216 said:
FBI Background check is what I needed for my residency and required getting my fingerprints taken. My local background investigation in the USA was not that helpful here. I wish I would have done everything before I arrived here.

I second JHB- if you want to get a work visa specifically you must have a background check done by the FBI with fingerprints. A police record from your town/city won't cut it. Go to your police station and have them finger print you- they should know what document to use. Here's a link to the FBI homepage detailing what you have to do to get the background check done: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

I really reccomend getting this done before you come here. I didn't and then had wait over a month just to receive the document. Save yourself the time and hassle even if you're not sure you'll look for a job!

The only question I have (or had) about bringing FBI records from the states was that the date on the FBI record request had to be greater than your arrival date. I had my fingerprints taken here, sent them to the FBI, received my record request but then had to return back to the states for a weekend and had to do everything over again.

Hypothetically, if you receive the FBI record request stating, for instance, that you have no record through 9/1/2009 and then arrive here from the States on 10/1/2009, you could have been arrested in the meantime and it wouldn't be reflected. That being said, if someone has brought FBI records from the States and submitted successfully here, let TX_Traveler know.

FBI records are required now as far as I know, I don't believe they accept local police reports.

Popper - you bring up an interesting point, especially as it takes a month or so to get your FBI records. I'm not sure what the resolution is. I have a friend who is submitting hers now for residency, will let you know if they have any concerns/questions about the dates.

It'll be helpful to let the forum know about your friend. I sent off for my records from Argentina, received them, then went to Europe and back and they were accepted without problem because they still covered the last time I had been in the States...but I think they did ask me about it.

What they want is a FBI report. I brought a police report from my town listing every parking ticket I got in the last 7 years! Besides a good laugh, it didn't go to far; also delayed the filing of my paperwork 6 weeks. After you get the FBI report, it has to be translated, translator authorized and then certified. It's a lot of running around but there are 2 good things about it. First you appreciate the running of things back home more and second, you get a nice walking tour of the city. Good Luck.

Back