British expat wanting to renew visa without going to colonia

becks1

Registered
Anyone know the latest score with regards to getting your tourist visa renewed? I dont want to go to colonia but i'm very familiar with the nightmare that a trip to migraciones in Retiro brings. Has anyone renewed their visa in Migraciones recently? A few questions..

- Can you do it?
- How much does it cost?
- Is there a time in the day you have to go / do you need a turno?

Thanks in advance

becks1 said:
- Can you do it?
- How much does it cost?
- Is there a time in the day you have to go / do you need a turno?

Is this your first time? If it is you can do it. However, if you get the 90 day extension at Retiro you cannot go to Colonia to get a new 90 day visa until after the prorroga expires (meaning you will pay the $300 peso fee when you do).

If you already have a lot of stamps in your passport they might actually tell you to go to Colonia.

The cost if the prorroga is $300 pesos.

You must go early and get a number. If you miss your turn when your number is called you will lose the turn.

A few months ago it was still possible to go late in the morning. A couple weeks ago the woman I know who helps expats at migraciones said she was turned away when she and her client arrived later.

She goes there often enough to be recognized and previously never had a problem going later in the morning.

Have you read some of the threads about the tourist visa? It it perfectly legal to renew once at Retiro and stay in the country for 180 days in a one year period. Going to Colonia to get new visas seems to provide peace of mind to those who worry about being "legal" but the practice itself isn't really legal...though it is tolerated by the immigration authorities.

Thanks that's really helpful. Yep i've been here a year so i already have lots of stamps...do you think its worth trying to go and do it in migraciones or is it risky? I just really cant be bothered with the trip to colonia and back!

I think it might be tough to get a prorroga now at migraciones and it might be an "ultima" prorroga if they do give you one.

If you don't mind the question, why do you want to extend your present visa or get a new one?

Is there a specific reason...such as changing money, driving, renting a hotel room or car, etc?

Back