Bs.as Over Christmas Period

kerriem

Registered
Hi there, my family are thinking of visiting us here over the Christmas period (arriving mid-December and departing early January). As they will need to come all the way from Australia I don't want them to turn up and find that all restaurants, shops and tourist attractions are closed over the Christmas period. Is anyone able to give me some advice as to whether or not Bs.As. operates (almost) as normal or if it becomes a ghost town over the Christmas period?

If you search the forum you will find info on what the city is like on Christmas, etc. A brief summary: It is crazy hot usually, you have to make a reservation several weeks in advance, also not a ton of restaurants are open and it is usually expensive with very poor service, public transportation will be scarce, especially from 10 pm to 2-3 am. Remember dinner here is late, 9-10 ish pm. The custom is to celebrate both Xmas eve and Xmas Day, and New Years´Eve and New Years Day. Xmas is 90% families getting together and New Years is families and after midnight clubs, parties, etc. I see that 24 and 25 is Tues and Wed, so most likely that Monday the 23rd will be almost dead, then just hangover but services as normal as well as attractions, same for New Years´s. Hope this helps some. On both days there are fireworks so be prepared for a lot of noise.

Thanks, Nikad. I am not so worried about restaurants on Christmas day as we can cook for ourselves, I'm more concerned about things being closed for the week before or the week after Christmas day itself. Thanks again for your advice!

December is totally mad with people normally right up to Christmas Eve, from 26 December onwards the madness continues, as it is the last work week before the January holidays. Make sure you do food shopping before 24/12, things shut early on that day, as Argentines celebrate Christmas dinner that night. night Their traditional meal is lots of heavy meat, more suited for a winter Christmas rather than 36 degree summers (just like home in NZ). You and your family will be fine, there are always things to do in this town.

I'm going to be in BA for Christmas also and I'm assuming that I will be spending the day alone (I don't have any family there).

Any suggestions as to what I might do on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

We are usually in town around Xmas time. It is very quiet and really hot. I think the whole city leaves the day after Xmas and goes to Mar de Plata or their other home away from home. If you have ever been to Europe in August, that is exactly what it's like, dead.

Nancy

That's not very encouraging. What about a hotel bar or something along those lines? For the fireworks? Tango classes maybe? Or should I just wander around the empty streets? It might be a good day to take photos as I won't be as worried about my camera being stolen =)

The peak of the madness is in day 23rd december, everybody is in a rush, closing the year to go to the beach, lots of people leave the town in that week and spend the christmas on the beach. I strongly recommend avoiding Bs As in those days, everybody is in a bad mood, movement everywhere, noises, smog, temperature.... and then January, more than the half of the 14 million people go to the beach or to their home town/country. Its defenitely another city, not BsAs.

If you are in the city, everything is open on the 24th and the 31st (mostly till 6 or 7 pm except for restaurants), and then pretty much everything is closed on the 25th and Jan 1st. The rest of the days everything is open normally, maybe even longer hours on the 23rd for Xmas shopping.

Back