Budgeting for raising two children in a small pueblo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiscal

Registered
My girlfriend rents a house owned by her own mother (who lives down the street) for $100 a month. We have a two year old and a newborn. My girlfriend has hired: (1) a housekeeper that comes every day for about six hours (paid $160 per hour); (2) a nanny that comes in the morning every day from 10AM-3PM, and then overnight from 11PM-8AM ($180 per hour); and (3) a third nanny ($180 per hour) that works from 3PM-7PM every day (also $180 per hour). Before anyone yells at me, my girlfriend and her mother decide how much to pay the nanny and housekeeper and I am not involved in that. I've tried ordering extra food on PedidosYa to give them food and both the mom and girlfriend criticize me for being wasteful with spending.

I give my girlfriend $2000 cash each month (what she said she needed to raise two children). She also has a credit card on which she spends $1000-$2000 a month. So in total, she spends about $3000-$4000 a month.

I have asked her if she can explain the budgeting, because I find it difficult to understand how someone spends $4,000 in a small town in Argentina. I also don't even know who makes that kind of money per month in Argentina. I asked my mother in law what is an extremely high salary here, and she said a judge makes about $1 million pesos (so around $6000-$7000 a month US?).

I'm just kind of confused, and not sure whether I should conclude I am an idiot for giving my girlfriend $4,000 a month to spend in a small town in Argentina, or I am being "cheap" for even doubting her and the costs of raising two kids here. Part of me suspects my girlfriend is giving a significant portion of this money to her mom, for whatever reason (mom and dad are squarely middle class, have a house with pool, two cars, housekeeper, take yearly vacations) because I just don't know how you spend that much money in a month here. I mean, there isn't even anything to buy! I also previously gave my girlfriend $10,000 cash (before our first child was born) along with a credit card, and the $10,000 disappeared really quickly somehow. I don't have a problem giving money to my mother in law, but if that is the case, I obviously would like to be informed of it, rather than being told $4000 a month is necessary to raise children here.

Maybe I am the "cheap jerk" for even raising the question, but I would like try and avoid moralizing and just better understand what is proper budgeting here.

My girlfriend rents a house owned by her own mother (who lives down the street) for $100 a month. We have a two year old and a newborn. My girlfriend has hired: (1) a housekeeper that comes every day for about six hours (paid $160 per hour); (2) a nanny that comes in the morning every day from 10AM-3PM, and then overnight from 11PM-8AM ($180 per hour); and (3) a third nanny ($180 per hour) that works from 3PM-7PM every day (also $180 per hour). Before anyone yells at me, my girlfriend and her mother decide how much to pay the nanny and housekeeper and I am not involved in that. I've tried ordering extra food on PedidosYa to give them food and both the mom and girlfriend criticize me for being wasteful with spending.

I give my girlfriend $2000 cash each month (what she said she needed to raise two children). She also has a credit card on which she spends $1000-$2000 a month. So in total, she spends about $3000-$4000 a month.

I have asked her if she can explain the budgeting, because I find it difficult to understand how someone spends $4,000 in a small town in Argentina. I also don't even know who makes that kind of money per month in Argentina. I asked my mother in law what is an extremely high salary here, and she said a judge makes about $1 million pesos (so around $6000-$7000 a month US?).

I'm just kind of confused, and not sure whether I should conclude I am an idiot for giving my girlfriend $4,000 a month to spend in a small town in Argentina, or I am being "cheap" for even doubting her and the costs of raising two kids here. Part of me suspects my girlfriend is giving a significant portion of this money to her mom, for whatever reason (mom and dad are squarely middle class, have a house with pool, two cars, housekeeper, take yearly vacations) because I just don't know how you spend that much money in a month here. I mean, there isn't even anything to buy! I also previously gave my girlfriend $10,000 cash (before our first child was born) along with a credit card, and the $10,000 disappeared really quickly somehow. I don't have a problem giving money to my mother in law, but if that is the case, I obviously would like to be informed of it, rather than being told $4000 a month is necessary to raise children here.

Maybe I am the "cheap jerk" for even raising the question, but I would like try and avoid moralizing and just better understand what is proper budgeting here.
Fiscal,

What kind of a crazy situation have you gotten yourself into?

For all you know, they are saving a portion of the money and not even spending it.

This is very interesting.

What the heck does your girlfriend need with all that support staff anyway?

6 hours a day for a cleaning lady?

Three nannies?

What does Mrs. Fiscal do all day? Sit around watching TV?

I am am very interested in this if you would share a bit more - please.

Fiscal,

What kind of a crazy situation have you gotten yourself into?

For all you know, they are saving a portion of the money and not even spending it.

This is very interesting.

How crazy is $4k? I had a conversation with my girlfriend and argued it was completely necessary and noted she wasn't purchasing luxury goods or things for herself -- which is true. But then, no idea what is happening to the money. I would think $2k is more than enough to live well here given she pays $100 in rent and pays all these nannies/housekeepers the equivalent of $1.50 an hour.

What the heck does your girlfriend need with all that support staff anyway?

6 hours a day for a cleaning lady?

Two nannies?

What does Mrs. Fiscal do all day? Sit around watching TV?

I am am very interested in this if you would share a bit more - please.

She has no job, and has not had a job since she met me. She sleeps, watches tv, spends time with the kids/chats with the nannies, spends time on her phone. To be honest, not really sure.

She has no job, and has not had a job since she met me. She sleeps, watches tv, spends time with the kids/chats with the nannies, spends time on her phone. To be honest, not really sure.
Fiscal,

I am no expert, on many things, relationships included, but you really need to open your eyes.

I think you are being taken advantage of in a major way????

Fiscal,

I am no expert, on many things, relationships included, but you really need to open your eyes.

I think you are being taken advantage of in a major way????

Maybe. But let's start with the facts. How much should it cost to raise two kids in a small town in Argentina where your rent for a house with a large back yard is only $100 a month? $1000? $2000? $3000?

When I was a child, I remember my mother always being busy. She would be cooking, cleaning and taking care of children from early in the morning until the dinner time when my father returned home from work. And how did she ever find time to go grocery shopping or steal a free moment to take care of herself???

Maybe. But let's start with the facts. How much should it cost to raise two kids in a small town in Argentina where your rent for a house with a large back yard is only $100 a month? $1000? $2000? $3000?
Fiscal,

The average needs of most people just about anywhere include:

Shelter, food and clothing along with medical care. (The basics don't go much further than that.) And if you get a few discretionary things, it's icing on the cake.

It sounds like you are with "The Kim Kardasian of Argentina!"

But, on the other side of things - If you are giving the mother of your children $4K per month, you must be able to afford it?

I don't even know what to say???

Most people I know in Argentina are getting by with a total monthly household income 25% of the number you are mentioning. (Even less in some cases.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back