Buenos Aires Begins Dismantling El Palomar Airport

I used the airport a number of times. It is great that the train station is next door to airport with easy comfortable train access to downtown. Villa Crespo, Palermo, Retiro, etc… A bonus for any city.

Airport issues are always tough and hideously complex. As a diegueño, I know this all too well. TTBOMK, San Diego Lindbergh Field is the last single-runway international airport in the continental USA, and it's been an issue of endless political wrangling for the last 50 years, with every city government kicking the can down the road. There are few international airports in the world more stupidly dangerous, now that Kai Tak is closed, and Mexico* cut the top off the mountain that made things so dangerous at that one airport with the unpronounceable name. LAX is bad because of density of traffic, but the airport facilities themselves are not bad.

I won't even try to defend the decision to close El Palomar. Every now and then, the Peronists pull something so incredibly stupid that all I can do is shake my head.

An airport with a train station right next door is so ideal, there are no words. Maybe one day the subway line to Ezeiza will be constructed, but it's clearly not happening any time soon.

* or maybe Honduras?

Last edited:
Back