Buenos Aires Changing

captainmcd

Registered
I have been away from here almost two years. I am sitting on my balcony pondering what has changed.
The streets are quieter, especially the collectivos. The sidewalks are slowly improving, but still need a lot of work.
The prices are about the same in dollars, but wine is still a bargain, no matter how large the local currency fluctuations.
I bought this place about 25 years ago, when the Austral was suffering from inflation and everyone wanted dollars. That has not changed.
However I was not happy with sloppy wiring and plumbing and that is improving, and codes are being enforced better than before.
Calle Florida has really gone down hill! What was once a tourist showcase is really a mess. I am ashamed to take my friends there.
The City Tour bus is very good, a great idea!

Another thing that has gone into the sewer is Calle Ortiz in front of the Recoleta cemetery. That used to have the best restaurats in town. Now most are tourist traps and the street looks like hell. Munich and La Biela are about all that remain top quality.

As a dog lover, I find it encouraging that more and more Porteños are carrying plastic bags to clean up the soretes. Certainly it's not a majority, but it's definitely more common. I always carry a couple extra bags in my daypack and, if I see someone letting his dog defecate on the sidewalk, I hand him one with the admonition "Se te cayó algo."

I have been coming regularly for 5 or 6 years now, and I have seen a lot of things change.
I find the streets to be cleaner, and I definitely notice a majority of dog owners cleaning up after their dogs, something that never happened before.
The collectivos now take Sube cards- which is a huge improvement, how can you say thats no change. Before, the amount of moneda on hand was a constant issue, each and every day. You had to come up with strategies to get change, it was always on your mind.

There are bike lanes now, and more and more people using them.

There are farmers markets now, all over, from up by tigre to over on Dorrego or El Galpon.
In general, the food available in Argentina is much more diverse, better quality, more aware of little things like chemicals and cholesterol.
There are lots of high quality vegetarian choices now, that didnt exist as recently as 2009. There is more choice in types of food, both at stores and in restaurants.

There is more awareness about plastic bags, about tossing garbage everywhere, and about recycling. There are now recycling bins in a few places, which isnt great, but its better than what there was 3 years ago, which was NONE.

I would also say that there is a more global perspective on art, music, and culture in general. Argentines seem more aware of what is going on elsewhere, and are stepping up to the bar to compete. I have seen local shows and performances that were world class lately, and not just based on tango. Those kids today are all watching the interwebs, and know what time it is.

Sure, there is still plenty to complain about. But what fun would it be to live anywhere if there was nothing to complain about?

I think the OP's point of view is quite interesting - being able to compare the city to what it was like 25 years ago gives a wide perspective on how much the city has changed.

I remember tourism was practically nonexistent before 2001. In the 90s, Argentines would turn their heads around if they heard someone speaking English on the street. A friend of mine used to say in the early 90s that Buenos Aires was her "best kept secret". It's a shame that most restaurants and shops have now become tourist traps.

there has to be something like 10,000 restaurants in BsAs. "most" would mean 51%- 5000 tourist traps?

"most" of the restaurants I eat at have nobody speaking english, or french, or german in them.
maybe they are trapping tourists from Mendoza?

Yes, the restaurants across from Recoleta Cemetery have become tourist traps. But its only 3 blocks to Rodi Bar.

Is kentucky a tourist trap? because it seems to be spreading like a disease these days.

Florida St. is Brazilian territory, Galerias Pacifico...!!

The occasional recycle bin near the plazas and the signs that Macri has posted around Buenos Aires reminding people to keep the city clean is like putting a band aid on an amputation. The rush of blood can't be stopped, especially with a little gauze and tape. It's just a cover to manipulate and trick people. Inflation goes up every year, customer service worsens, salaries increments are so dimunitive that after paying higher taxes you end up actually earning less than the previous year, crime rate keeps rising, and now the streets are torn up all over the city.

Back