Buenos Aires Chosen To Test Self Driving Cars

Damn i thought it will take longer to get the approval needed for this cars to actually being tested in real cities. I wonder why they choose Buenos Aires, shouldn't they try easy places to drive first?
They probably get a lot more exception scenarios in BA...the point of the testing is to make sure it will work and to give it real life scenarios that they possibly didn't account for.

Brilliant !!

Will the cars be programed to give way to traffic from the right at junctions ? Or will they be programed to be as macho as possible and speed through anywhere with no lights?

What will they do at traffic lights close to Villas after dark - will they stop at Red are drive through with caution?

I talked to a taxi driver about 2-3 months ago why he, personally, was so against Uber. He kind of sputtered for a moment then said something like "people want to earn money so they go out and buy a car and join up with Uber. They are not professionals and they are dangerous."

Of course, that isn't the real reason that taxi drivers don't like Uber, unless they are all truly idiots.

So I wonder how the mafia...er, sorry, the taxi union (and other transportation unions, like the union that serves truck drivers) is going to take this? I can see these guys hunting driver-less cars and trucks and causing them to stop...or even worse, causing them to wreck and then blaming auto-driving cars and trucks as the problem.

It's one thing to want to test something like this in a place that would stress the system and find issues, quite another to actually deal with the population of the city...

I talked to a taxi driver about 2-3 months ago why he, personally, was so against Uber. He kind of sputtered for a moment then said something like "people want to earn money so they go out and buy a car and join up with Uber. They are not professionals and they are dangerous."

Of course, that isn't the real reason that taxi drivers don't like Uber, unless they are all truly idiots.

So I wonder how the mafia...er, sorry, the taxi union (and other transportation unions, like the union that serves truck drivers) is going to take this? I can see these guys hunting driver-less cars and trucks and causing them to stop...or even worse, causing them to wreck and then blaming auto-driving cars and trucks as the problem.

It's one thing to want to test something like this in a place that would stress the system and find issues, quite another to actually deal with the population of the city...

I've wondered about the same thing.... riding alone in an unmanned car seems to be an invitation for mischief or robbery.

If it's programmed by someone sensible it'll take a week to drive 1km.

Well I actually know of worse places to drive than Buenos Aires lol, in comparison Buenos Aires is quite an easy place, light sistem, few narrow streets, etc. For me, Rome was a nightmare to drive, but that is my personal opinion as a driver. And let alone to park.

Back