Buenos Aires- Good Or Bad Move?

kata_cios

Registered
I'm thinking about moving to BA within the next 4-6 months, and would like to know what expats living there think- would you recommend it?

I fell in love with the city six years ago when I spent one month there studying Spanish, and I have not been back since. I am currently 26 years old, live in Chicago, and have an accounting/finance background. My Spanish is decent and I have a few friends there I still keep in touch with. Any advice is very much appreciated!

If you come with dolars it will be ok, even more probably in next few months. Average work will pay you rent and some fun, but that's all. If you have dreams to make money here, better go somewhere else, because when you earn something here, trouble actually starts...

For fun and experience is probably ok, for anything serious, read this forum more closely and decide by yourself ;)

I'm thinking about moving to BA within the next 4-6 months, and would like to know what expats living there think- would you recommend it?

I fell in love with the city six years ago when I spent one month there studying Spanish, and I have not been back since. I am currently 26 years old, live in Chicago, and have an accounting/finance background. My Spanish is decent and I have a few friends there I still keep in touch with. Any advice is very much appreciated!

As long as you have the right expectations, you should come. Worse case scenario, it will be a learning experience.

Thanks mikic007 and camberiu- I will definitely do more research before my move!

kata_cios I am a New Yorker now retired who has been living and working here since 1979.I have seen and lived thru it all in Argentina. Follow mikic007's and Camberiu's' advice to the letter.Things might improve here with a new gov't and then again they might not.You never know here.Uncertainty lives daily in Argentina.If you have a hard currency income,you'll probably like it fairly well.However,if you're thinking of working,even freelance,I doubt that it would be worth the effort.Have you "shopped around" ? What about Colombia,Peru or Costa Rica? I know all of those countries and for work any one of them would be a better shot than Argentina at this point in time.

I would wait out the change of government and see if it indeed does bring about any significant change in a semi-quick amount of time. Every time Argentina goes down, it manages to bubble back up, so you may catch it on the rise if you can hang in there and read the tea leaves in early to mid 2016.

There is some great advice above.

There are more mental changes than practical one in preparation to move to Argentina.

My advice would be learn to cope with less. Be less materialistic. Learn how to repair things and make others that you would normally purchase. Have patience with the things that you have, don't look for more.

Lower expectations with everything. With services, bureaucracy, work, play, culture. If you try to keep up appearances and criticize too much, you will become a curmudgeon and fall into the risk of maintaining a negative outlook on things.

You are a foreigner, probably from the Western world. Latin Americans have a strong political and cultural identity that sometimes portrays Westerners as oppressors and opportunists. While extremely friendly people, entering into a close relationship with an Argentine as a foreigner is no easy to task.
To stave off loneliness, and not be a diplobrat who only surrounds themselves with other foreigners, focus on joining some groups or societies. Play a sport or study in a group. This is your portal to accessing the local people and culture.

If you feel that your life isn't developing the way that you would like here, or that the country is inhibiting your potential happiness, your career or your personality, then don't try to weather it through. The likely outcome is depression. Return to your own country, culture. Refresh then maybe return to Argentina at a later date.

Change your priorities. Don't go to the bank deposit money, commute to your office on time, queue to pay a bill. Make these secondary objectives. Instead, focus on taking your time, observing, interacting with world. Arrive late sometimes, and as the Pope said recently, 'make a mess'.

The only physical preparation you need to migrate to the southern cone is, as said before, a good stash of US dollars to see you through.

There is some great advice above.

There are more mental changes than practical one in preparation to move to Argentina.

My advice would be learn to cope with less. Be less materialistic. Learn how to repair things and make others that you would normally purchase. Have patience with the things that you have, don't look for more.

Lower expectations with everything. With services, bureaucracy, work, play, culture. If you try to keep up appearances and criticize too much, you will become a curmudgeon and fall into the risk of maintaining a negative outlook on things.

You are a foreigner, probably from the Western world. Latin Americans have a strong political and cultural identity that sometimes portrays Westerners as oppressors and opportunists. While extremely friendly people, entering into a close relationship with an Argentine as a foreigner is no easy to task.
To stave off loneliness, and not be a diplobrat who only surrounds themselves with other foreigners, focus on joining some groups or societies. Play a sport or study in a group. This is your portal to accessing the local people and culture.

If you feel that your life isn't developing the way that you would like here, or that the country is inhibiting your potential happiness, your career or your personality, then don't try to weather it through. The likely outcome is depression. Return to your own country, culture. Refresh then maybe return to Argentina at a later date.

Change your priorities. Don't go to the bank deposit money, commute to your office on time, queue to pay a bill. Make these secondary objectives. Instead, focus on taking your time, observing, interacting with world. Arrive late sometimes, and as the Pope said recently, 'make a mess'.

The only physical preparation you need to migrate to the southern cone is, as said before, a good stash of US dollars to see you through.

This is an excellent post. I wish I had read this around 2008. Most of it I learned the hard way.

I do not agree. Argentines are among the most open minded people I have met, they are very curious about Westerners and even look up to them. They complain a lot more about Argentines and other Latin Americans than about Westerners.

Entering in a close relationship may not be an easy task, but for totally different reasons. I had a close relationship, much closer than I can have with most Western women, though the relationship broke up because I could not handle the drama. Expect people to be less rational, more dramatic, more insecure and less responsible. It is a different culture. You have to embrace the culture if you want to make friends. If you do, you can make good friends with Argentines and you will also realise that the Western world has its deficiencies as well. One being materialism. You are right that people are less materialistic in Argentina, but I think that is good.

My personal advice would be to go to Buenos Aires to go out and have fun, but not to start a living. I went there first to go out and have fun (learn tango) and it was great. I got a girlfriend and started being settled and that is when I started waking up to the realities in Argentina. It is not a secure country to build a future. If you come from a Western country, I would advise to earn a living there and save the money to go on holidays to Argentina. (I put my money where my mouth is, since this is exactly what I am doing.)

Back