Buenos Aires or Mendoza

eschal

Registered
Hello, a friend of mine (college educated/30 something) is considering moving to Mendoza or Buenos Aires. Criteria for decision:
-Work Opportunities
-Housing cost (rent or buy)
-Open to foreigners?
-Social Life?
-Need for transportation?

Any information would help.

Just tell your frind to start reading the forum.

There are tens of thousands of posts with useful information.

If your friend is considering moving to Argentina without ever visiting, its just a fantasy at this point...and as silly as wanting to move to Neverland after reading Peter Pan...or seeing the movie.

Tell your friend to come and check out both places. I would choose Mendoza for its proximity to outdoor activities. Work could be an issue though other than the old standby of teaching English. I would think that the cost of living might be less than in Buenos Aires but haven't been there in a couple of years to know this for sure.

eschal said:
Hello, a friend of mine (college educated/30 something) is considering moving to Mendoza or Buenos Aires. Criteria for decision:
-Work Opportunities
-Open to foreigners?
-Social Life?

I've lived in San Rafael for 3.5 years now. I am retired however. If he wants to work down here he had better have some real specialized IT experience or something marketable and, much more than likely, speak fairly decent castallano.

Social? Take tango lessons and go from there, go regularly to some of the different groups of lessons and meet new people.

Rent, FAR cheaper than BA as well as general cost of living even with Christina's inflationary binge. This area particularly is used to quite a bit of tourism. This little town is bed rocked in it. Charming place San Rafael.

Transportation, all I've had is a moto, small 125 Honda Storm, 8K pesos new two years ago. Does great and kills the parking problems in el centro.

Lots of people starting to hurt up here this year from the inflation. Also, one of the main crops is drying plums. Very odd year with some farms with fruit and another down the road totally devoid of it. No one can explain it from my knowledgeable sources.

Some of my Argentine friends tell me San Rafael is different from any other small city in the country.

Ancient Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."

Roger

eschal said:
-Work Opportunities
-Open to foreigners?
-Social Life?

Work Opportunities -- Buenos Aires.

Housing Cost -- Mendoza is cheaper (and prettier) than BA.

Open to Foreigners -- Neither. Go to Brazil.

Social Life -- Buenos Aires.

Need for Transportation -- Buenos Aires has excellent public transport, in my opinion. Gets a bit crowded now and then, but it's manageable.

I think most non retirees and outdoors extreme ethusiasts would get bored in Mendoza. I would. We looked and like Mendoza a lot. But there was little to do socially and few good restaurants other than a few at wineries that are tourist oriented. Lower rents, but you definitely need a car. Good hiking and biking if he would be happy spending hours each week on those activities.

Back