Buenos Aires: The PARIS of Latin America!

steveinbsas

Registered
We've often heard this phrase.

If you'll pardon the expression, I love Paris.

I also love Buenos Aires.

Nonetheless, if Paris is a TEN (out of ten), Buenos Aires is a THREE!

Anyone care to comment?

But if you're looking to get people riled up, you're probably doing a great job.

LiXueLee said:
But if you're looking to get people riled up, you're probably doing a great job.

Perhaps I am, but I am not the author of the phrase. Do you have an opinion about the question: Paris versus Buenos Aires?

LiXueLee said:
I think it's a silly comparison--apples and oranges.

It is a comparison that has been made for decades...by many serious writers and thinkers (intellectuals).

LiXueLee said:

And your point is (please be more specific)?

LiXueLee said:
I think it's a silly comparison--apples and oranges.

Don't you know that Buenos Aires IS the PARIS of Latin American?

WOW!

Steve, I lived in Paris as a child and have visited since. There are comparisons -- architectural, among others -- and, to me, a bit of common feeling; but each city is distinctly different.

One difference often cited by those who would say that the two places have more in common than not is the large presence in Buenos Aires of non-white people from impoverished lands. It's true that there were very few in Paris in the 1950s, but in this the two cities have begun to draw closer.

And, no, the sobriquet certainly doesn't rile me.

RWS said:
Steve, I lived in Paris as a child and have visited since. There are comparisons -- architectural, among others -- and, to me, a bit of common feeling; but each city is distinctly different.

One difference often cited by those who would say that the two places have more in common than not is the large presence in Buenos Aires of non-white people from impoverished lands. It's true that there were very few in Paris in the 1950s, but in this the two cities have begun to draw closer.

And, no, the sobriquet certainly doesn't rile me.

RSW,

Dat aint da point.

The folks who say BA is the Paris of Latin America seem to be oblivious to the fact that "rules" mean something in France...(compared to here)...among many other things.

steveinbsas said:
. . . . "rules" mean something in France....
No longer so much as one might think. There are changes throughout the world, and most of those in the West are not for the better.

Another comparison between the two cities is the presence of annoying and complex governmental bureaucracies in each, though the French may be both relatively smaller and less corrupt (this last is second-hand guesswork, as I've not directly encountered corrupt governmental officials in either place).

Back