Buenos Aires To Salta By Car?

Gringoboy

Registered
We're driving up to visit friends in Salta at the end of the month and there are numerous ways to get there. We've decided to do the scenic route on the way back i.e Tafi del Valle etc as we'd like to get there at a particular time more or less.
Looks like Ruta 9 all the way via Cordoba, S del Estero and or changing to Ruta 34.
Anyone done this trip recently with any recommendations?
Cheers.

Bue to Cordoba, you can take the highway BA - Rosario, but to get to the north west, you can choose to take the "camino de las altas cumbres" from cordoba capital or villa carlos paz. It is really beautiful and you have the national park Condorito, better if you make a reservation in advance to visit the park.

Going to San Luis first, instead, you avoid "altas cumbres" and if someone get dizziness with it. This way is a little bit boring.

I suggest you to check the app waze, which also offers updated info.

Thanks Roxana, great info.
Since we want to see my mate in Salta and we're only staying with him a couple of days, we're taking the fast route on R9 on the way up but try the Altas Cumbres on the way back as well as Tafi de Valle and Jujuy after Salta.
Thanks for the tip on Waze, never heard of it before. I also bought a Garmin Nuvi GPS for the bike recently, which we'll be taking with us.
Road trip here we come.

Cordoba to Santiago del Estero is, like a lot of the country far from the Andes, mostly flat, dry and not that interesting visually if I remember correctly. Do not go the hour and a half outside of Santiago del Estero to Rio Hondo unless you are absolutely desperate for some thermal baths, although we did have a very nice meal in one of the villas near there that holds a market on the weekends. Rather depressing out that way though, an hour or so of desert filled with trash just to get there from the city. The Dakar headed up there this year though so perhaps things have improved. After x number of hours on the bike the thermal baths may be just what you need!

Santiagueños are famous, depending on who says it, for their siesta, or laziness. I think it is because of the weather.

Cordoba to Santiago del Estero is, like a lot of the country far from the Andes, mostly flat, dry and not that interesting visually if I remember correctly. Do not go the hour and a half outside of Santiago del Estero to Rio Hondo unless you are absolutely desperate for some thermal baths, although we did have a very nice meal in one of the villas near there that holds a market on the weekends. Rather depressing out that way though, an hour or so of desert filled with trash just to get there from the city. The Dakar headed up there this year though so perhaps things have improved. After x number of hours on the bike the thermal baths may be just what you need!

100% agreed. Possibly the most boring drive I've ever done, and I've hauled across Hwy 50 through Nevada and Utah. Download Serial (season one is addictive and the new season is up!) to save yourself from going insane at the relentless repitition of Pampa, cows and thrilling trees. When you start to see fields of plastic bags, you'll know you are arriving in Santiago del Estero. I found Rio Honda disappointing as well, even though I was hoping it was kind of old school cool.
If you can squeeze in a side trip in Córdoba province to La Cumbrecita, that was one of the most pleasant surprises we've found in all of Argentina. Literally, a breath of fresh air.

I second the rec for Waze as well. Way more thorough than Apple maps or Garmin.

Loved Salta, especially lit up at night. Great food. Enjoy your trip!

If you are going to Jujuy, continue to Humamarka (sp) turn left to the salt flats . Turn left again heading south to and on rt 40. Then left again to Salta. F'ing beautiful trip.

T/

Could be Purmamarca or Humahuaca?

Either way, I agree. Jujuy city itself is pretty boring, but the trip up north is gorgeous. Purmamarca=7 colours hill, and Humahuaca=quebrada. Both have excellent hiking, stunning scenery.

Yup, and Tilcara (on the way to Humahuaca) is such a cute little town and a great place to stay. We took the same route you are planning in May and agree with others that that leg is one of the more boring routes. If you have time and stamina for it, maybe head down by way of Cafayate and through Tafi del Valle. We were recommended to go this route but opted for the shorter less scenic route...and we had just come from Cafayate prior to Salta & Jujuy. Have a great trip.

Also, regarding road construction, this site is always a good one to check out for Argentina roads: http://www.vialidad.gov.ar/

Back