Buenos Aires Water Quality; Tap And Bottled

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
We have been purchasing bottled water for about a year now. Today I was looking at the bottle and envisioned a couple of guys filling these things up from a tap in the outskirts of CABA and slapping a seal on it

What is the quality of tap water here in BA? Does anyone have any independent studies on the quality of bottled water?

Many thanks in advance. Now, back to my kiddie pool on the balcony ...

GS

From all I've heard/read, there's nothing wrong with the quality (at least in capital), but it might taste/smell a bit more chlorine-y than what I'm used to in the states. I purchase the big water jugs, too, but I also drink mate with tap water (that hasn't been fully boiled) and haven't had any issues so far. And of course lots here drink from the tap as well.

So there's your probably-not-very-helpful/completely anecdotal answer.

I can tell you (anecdotally) that someone I know well worked for the manufacturer of bottled water caps, i.e. the little screw caps on top of the bottle, she made various site visits to the bottling plants and factories, she said that the only bottled water she would recommend drinking is villavicencio , the rest range from worryingly bad to not great in her opinion.

Also, there is a difference in categorisation, can't remember how it is labelled but the good ones like Villavicencio are bottled at source, the rest is just normal water, treated (with various chems), "purified" , has some minerals mixed in low quantities and bottled up.

No idea about tap water, she didn't work for Villavicencio but for a supplier who supplied more or less the whole industry.

Villavicencio is one of those brands I know are very good but to me taste quite bad.

We drink ivess and as far as taste goes, seems the most "pure" to me. Now if that's actually the case, I don't know, but don't think I've ever gotten sick from it. Most others I've tried have a chemical taste.

We don't drink from the tap because we live out in provincia and its questionable... they cut the water often and sometimes it's brownish afterwards, plus the water tower on our property I'm not too sure about.

"Mineral" - bottled at the source, must be labeled
"Mineralizado" - chemically treated
"Purificada" - Ground or below ground water, only difference from (treated) tap water is that it is distributed in Bottles (and controlled for quality, of course).

I guess taste is subjective, this was really about the cleanliness of the factory, cleanliness of the storage facilities, quality of water source and lack of chemicals added based on some reports and site visits....again, she wasn't (nor am I!!) working for the company. The bottles should be PET free...as an aside be careful about the bottles you are drinking from, some are very low q plastic here.

We use tap water with one of those PSA water purifiers. A world of a difference between unfiltered and filtered tap water in terms of smell and taste. We spent something around 2000 pesos a couple of years ago and the thing is good for 3 years. Considering inflation, it probably sells for around 3000-4000 pesos now but still worth the investment, in my opinion.

Here's the website if you're interested: http://www.psa.com.ar/productos/purificadores-de-agua

I'm not affiliated with them. Just use their product on a daily basis, that's all.

The tap water in BsAs is good and the closer to the water treatment plant the better...BUT....Have you ever noticed all the tanks on top of buildings? The tap is not connected directly to the municipal system but gets the water from one of those tanks which is in turn filled by the municpal water. So a lot of the quality of the water may depend on both the cleanliness and condition of the tank as well as the intervening pipes (yes some are still lead (Pb))...

For those that are also worried about fluoridation (not me...), note that many bottled waters are fluoridated..

But drink up... the danger of trace contaminants is much lower than dehydration!

I would not trust bottled water except in an emergency, perhaps on a trip when I pick up a liter for the bus, etc. For one thing, you get plasticizers from items stored in plastic before it is consumed. And in this case, if the bottles sat in a hot truck somewhere before delivery to the store, it is even worse. If the water isn't fluoridated, the filters are good. You need one on your shower also. You can take in more toxins in a hot shower than you can drink all day out of the faucet. The same company that ElNicoOriginal mentioned makes a good quality shower filter.

I have a countertop distiller. The water comes out of the faucet, and through the distiller. A lot of what we drink is freshly (same day) made vegetable juice but the difference is made up with distilled water that I distill myself.

Back