Bugs In Food Bought At China Town Market

Risu

Registered
Shopped today at the China town market. Bought popcorn and red & black beans. Was unpacking the groceries at home and noticed little black bugs inside the sealed plastic bags. Just a warning to other shoppers to take a close look at what you buy. Now must make the long trek back there to return this stuff. Hope they will take it back.

Are you sure they're not part of the meal ???
It reminds me of the joke of the American in Paris who goes into a restaurant and orders Escargot because it sounds French.
Then when the dish arrives the customer calls the waiter over & yells "What are these bugs doing on my plate !!!" :lol:

u get what u pay for! Thats why I avoid this market as much as I can.

I have also bought packet walnuts and flour from Coto with bugs....

These "gorgojos" unfortunately are part of life in humid conditions . If you know the Mexican dish refried beans it was invented to disguise the unwanted extra protein :eek: . Definitely inspect everything. Inspect sell by dates ,too.Distrust sell by stickers stuck on where the print goes combined with a special offer .

El Gorgojo del trigo grows at home, if you store the cereal or other grains for some time, bugs will develop, Not to worry

Ziplock freezer bags are your friend. Rice, flour, pasta, oats,you name it. As soon as it gets home it needs to go in a hermetic container.

Bad luck! Once when I had the same problem & complained to the dietetica, I was directed, with not a trace of irony, to look at this: http://medicinalternativa.blogspot.com.ar/2006/01/para-que-sirve-la-terapia-de-gorgojos.html and treat the bugs as a bonus.
I wouldn't go that far, but have accepted that bugs do live in my food, to the point where I wonder what the hell treatment food gets in other places to eliminate them.

A lot of grains and even pasta come pre-loaded with extra protein, usually it's not actually walking around yet though!
The best way to stop things from hatching and eating your food is to cook and eat it as soon as possible after purchase.
Failing that, deny them the warmth and air they need, using vacuum storage bags/tubs and/or keeping everything in the fridge.
A stint in the freezer is good but not infallible for killing moth.

Those are probably weevils. I've seen them in a number of bags of beans and lentils that I got from Chinatown. My grandmother would always drop a chili pepper or two into her bean jar to keep the weevils out. I don't have a bean jar so I just eat the chili peppers.

Aside from being a bit on the gross side these bugs will not harm you - even if you eat them. If that isn't to your taste (LOL) then you can sort the beans on a counter or large plate. Pick out the ones with obvious holes in them. This is where the weevils have eaten away the inside of the bean and laid their eggs. Then put the beans into a pot of water. Pick out and throw away the ones that float. The rest should be no problem for consumption.

Bon appetít!

Back