Buquebus And Visa Fee

gvas12

Registered
Hello everyone,

I don't know if this topic has been posted already (I looked up the topic on the search option and didn't see anything), but this question is for my fellow perma-tourists out there.

I've overstayed my tourist visa by a lot, but simply because one of the ladies at migraciones in Retiro told me that it would be a better idea to overstay than go to Colonia every 6 months.

I'm going to Montevideo for about a month and I was wondering if I would just have to pay the fee at the Buquebus offices or if i'd have to go somewhere else/do anything more. Argentina always has its hidden bureaucratic things and I was wondering if anyone else had to go through this situation.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I overstayed my visa and was travelling out of the country earlier this year. I had to go to the Migraciones Office in Retiro within 10 days before I left, pay a fine, get a form/proof I had paid, and then I could travel. It cost about 300 or 400 pesos. I believe you still need to do this otherwise they won't let you travel. Allow a couple of hours of waiting at the Migraciones office. Hope that helps!

I dont think you can pay the overstay fine at the port or at the Buquebus offices . Migraciones would be your best bet.

The check in people at Buquebus look for your last passport stamp before printing your boarding pass.

Be aware there is no bank machine at the buquebus place, or at least there wasn't when i was heading over to Uruguay and failed to realise i was a day over my tourist visa 4-5 years ago.

I've overstayed my tourist visa by a lot, but simply because one of the ladies at migraciones in Retiro told me that it would be a better idea to overstay than go to Colonia every 6 months.

That certainly says a lot about how the ladies at migraciones (the last time I was there all of those working the prorrogas desks were female) actually feel about those who overstay...

PS: Anyone who wants to stay "legit" (at least in their own minds) by going to Colonia after being denied a prorroga at migraciones would actually have to go every 90 days instead of every six months...and many of them do.

You can pay the Overstay fine at the Buquebus Port Tereminal Migraciones before you depart, they will send you to a place to pay... Bring pesos cash.

Before you board on the Buquebus Terminal on the ground floor there is a BBVA ATM terminal

Hey
You can pay the Overstay fine at the Buquebus Port Tereminal Migraciones before you depart, they will send you to a place to pay... Bring pesos cash.

Before you board on the Buquebus Terminal on the ground floor there is a BBVA ATM terminal

Hey Rich, have you tried this yourself?

I REALLY don't want to go through another visit to migraciones. Last time I went it was not the most pleasant experience... got there at 6 am and left at 12pm -_-

Has anyone else paid their fee at the buquebus station? If it can be done there, that would be so much more convenient for me

Has anyone else paid their fee at the buquebus station? If it can be done there, that would be so much more convenient for me

I did, but this was about 4 years ago and there have since been rumors that this is no longer an option. Never heard conclusively one way or another. If you try and post your experience it will surely help a lot of people.

I paid the fine at the buquebus terminal two years ago.
As you pas through passport control they will pull you up into an office right beside. It took me all of 5 minutes to pay and get stamped.

Hey

I REALLY don't want to go through another visit to migraciones. Last time I went it was not the most pleasant experience... got there at 6 am and left at 12pm -_-

Hey

Well that's silly as the office only opens at 8AM!

You can't pay the overstay fine at any old crossing anymore... two years ago yes, not anymore. You can pay it in Retiro, Ezeiza, or AEROPARQUE but it must be within 10 days of your departure!!

Back