Bus drivers -- complaints and recognition

Probably in terms of getting their vehicle around streets with little incident, the drivers are good at their jobs. Better than good in fact considering they will instantly drive at high speed given half the chance. For the most part they have zero respect for the passenger, but then again for the most part the passenger has zero respect for them, so.

Buenos Aires is a wonderful city to navigate on bus, they are available and cheap. I won't, however, pretend the drivers do a particulalry good job, or the operators for that matter.

I agree that getting around the city on buses is the best way, so inexpensive, and convenient with a SUBE card. In 1999, the fare was 70 centavos ($ .70 cents), and you needed coins. Today with the dollar at 40 pesos, the fare is even less for me than it was 20 years ago.

Driving a bus is not an easy or relaxing job, but there is room for improvement.

I was riding on a #150 bus going to Av. Santa Fe. A bus company official boarded and asked all passengers to present their SUBE card to him. He had a device that checked whether the card was used to pay a fare on that bus. I haven't seen this procedure done in years.

After checking all passengers cards, I asked him why it is that those who want to offer items for sale can ride the bus without paying the fare. I see this happen regularly. The company official explained that the company running the #150 does not allow vendors on their buses. Why? Nonpaying passengers are not covered by the company's insurance in the case of an accident.

New app telling you when your bus will arrive at the corner.

Back