Buy Phone In Ba Or Ship From The U.s.?

SamBA

Registered
I'm heading down to Argentina in about 10 days for a study abroad program, and I'm trying to figure out what to do about a cell phone while I'm down there for the next 5 months. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use a phone with all the capabilities of my current phone (talk/text/apps/maps/internet/etc.). For that reason, I was originally planning on bringing my current phone (Galaxy S3) down with me and simply popping in a local sim card, but a wrench was thrown in my plans yesterday when my phone completely conked out on me. I sent it in for repairs, but it doesn't sound like I'm going to get it back in time to take with me, so now I'm at a loss for what to do.

I've called UPS, Fed-Ex, and USPS, and got a range of quotes on the shipping—from under $25 to over $175—as well as differing opinions on whether or not I would be charged an import duty—and how much such a duty would cost me—as well. Nor has my confidence been boosted by some of the things I've read on this website about certain valuable items sometimes "disappearing" as they go through customs.

I haven't done too much research yet on buying a phone in Argentina, but I'm wondering whether someone might be able to shed some light on whether this is a good idea, or whether I'll be better off just shipping it, and the best way to go about doing so in order to ensure it arrives safe and sound?

Thanks!

Buy a phone in the US that is unlocked and will work here. Bring it with you. Do not send it! And don't buy it here as you'll pay more and get less. Later if someone visits you here they can bring your old fixed phone and you could sell it here for a good price.

If you're bringing U$ to sell in black market, I got for my mother the Moto G has amazing value at $1500 pesos (with a $150/month plan unlimited internet, call to others Movistars, and about 100/ mins to others) not sure how long you have to stay with the plan though. I think it's 12 months usually or they charge you a % of the phone value on top if you leave earlier, but you'll be able to sell it with the line for much more than that when you leave.
Also I'm seeing on Mercado Libre going at $2400 locked for one carrier (you can get chip from that company..eventually check if can unlock, or sell before you go back), not sure how much you can get it for in US unlocked. 200u$s or less and better to get it in US

you cant ship a phone down here or you should not try to do it.......that made me laugh.... bring one with you... buy a cheap unlocked phone for 50 dollars if you are looking for a short stay... but that is up to you... just buy a unlocked phone and bring it....

Usually, you want to buy it in the US and bring it with you. However, you will have no warranty. I just brought 2 Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini's with me. One just bricked. Trying to unbrick it now - no luck so far. Can't send it back through the mail as it will then never get back to me through the mail.

I'm thinking of just buying one here.

Bring an unlocked phone from the US if possible. With the exchange rate what it is, the price for mid range phones isn't that different from the US but if you want something worth over 300 dollars, then you're better off buying in the US.

I appreciate all the responses. While I think I'm going to go with Iacoqueta's advice and have someone bring the phone with them when they come to visit, I'm just curious as to what reasons people have for not shipping things between the US and Argentina. Is it that stuff gets stolen in transit, or gets mishandled and broken/lost? Or just that it is super expensive?

I appreciate all the responses. While I think I'm going to go with Iacoqueta's advice and have someone bring the phone with them when they come to visit, I'm just curious as to what reasons people have for not shipping things between the US and Argentina. Is it that stuff gets stolen in transit, or gets mishandled and broken/lost? Or just that it is super expensive?

All that and add: the time that it takes, customs probably hold it until you go get it, you might not get notified in time and you get charged for each day that it's there, and more...much more.
You'll surely experiment at least 2 of these if you try to send it via mail. Someone bringing it in person is the best way bar none.

Sam it's like the Wild West here but without the guns so much. There's "outlaws" all over the place, everyone's on the take, and that also includes the law enforcement folks,i.e. Police and judges..there's a lot of open hands between what you send from the US and you recieving it here in BsAs.!

Back