Buying a motorbike in BA


Jul 27, 2006
Lucas said:
DNI = Documento Nacional de Identidad (National (personal) Identification Document) Argentinean citizens only, foreigners have a passport issued by they country of origin.

It is a number (your ID number) in this document is your name, date and place of birth, your photo (as it's in a passport) and your right thumb fingerprint.

This document is to identify yourself when is requested by authorities, police for example, banks to open an account, sign lease and legal documents, buy real state, a car, a motorbike or do any legal or business transactions, etc. if you have one you must carry it with you all the time, also if you are issued with an Argentinean passport this ID number will the same.

:D All paperwork in Argentina is a nightmare better get used to it there is no escape to the red tape in this country....enjoy it.

While the DNI is not required of tourists (residencia transitoria) the DNI is required of all temporay and permanent residents (temporia or permanente). It is not limited to citizens of Argentina. Recently, however, the process of getting the DNI has been very slow.

Dr. Benny

Mar 30, 2010

I'm currently in Patagonia and riding north to Buenos Aires (Should be there in 4 or 5 days). I have an excellent touring bike that I've ridden through South America but my journey is coming to an end and I'll sell it. The bike is USA registered and I can help you with the papers (assuming your a foreign passport). It's easy and free to cross borders. Reselling the bike in Colombia should be easy (big market there). I have some contacts that can help you out. In fact, I've already had 2 offers from Ecuador and Colombia for the bike. Here's some details on the bike. It's priced to sell. Send me an email to discuss. Cheers.

Price: $2,800 USD

Make: Kawasaki
Model: KLR
Year: 2002
Color: Green/Gray
Engine Size: 650 cc
Mileage: 28,000
Tires: TBD (they might be replaced before I reach Bs As)

A few photos (see my blog for more:



  • Engine and tank crash bars with highway foot pegs
  • Rear brake master cylinder guard
  • Heated grips
  • Skid plate
  • Center stand
  • Aluminum backed handlebar crash guards
  • Tall windshield
  • Larger heavy duty foot pegs
  • Stainless steel brake lines
  • Clymer manual
  • Corbing seat
  • Tool kit
  • Direct SAE battery connection
  • Inline fuel filter (plus spare)
  • FMF exhaust (with re-jetted carb)
  • Sealed battery
  • Spare throttle cables
  • Over-sized front brake rotor
  • Spare front and rear tubes
  • 3 bungee cords, coil of parachute cord, zipties, spare lot of nuts and bolts, jumper cables
  • Proudly displayed ADV sticker on front plastics
  • K&N air filter
  • Protaper handlebars
  • Progressive front fork springs
  • Upgraded dohickey
New Parts:
  • Recent oil change
  • Brake pads (front and rear)
  • Chain
  • Rear sprocket
  • Spark plug
  • Spare key
  • Cracked front plastic cowl - fixed with aluminum and pop rivets
  • barilochetoesquel002.jpg
  • 2 small rips in the seat - covered with Tenacious Tape
  • Broken (melted) rear right turn signal
  • barilochetoesquel004.jpg
  • Odometer wasn't working for about 5,000 miles
  • Normal wear and tear from a journey through the Americas
Extras that are not included but I'd consider selling as well:
  • Garmin 60csx GPS with power cable directly connected to run off the bike's battery
  • Ram mount for GPS
  • Wolfman tank bag
Items you see in pictures that are not included:
  • Micatech Top Box
  • Micatech V2 Panniers
  • SW-Motech side racks
The bike has been well used but also well maintained and ready for more adventures. Ride on!


benny (dot) slavin (at) gmail (dot) com


Apr 27, 2009
mini said:
The DNI is like the local tax number or something. Your own personal number you get by being a local or a resident. You need it for a bunch of things. I was told you _need_ it to register a vehicle.

Maybe Fettucini can tell us more about the requirements or where to look them up.

You don't need DNi to buy a car, I guess it's the same for a motorbike.


Jan 1, 2010
A DNI was required when I bought a car two years ago.

I tried to buy it with my passport and was told that, in special cases, non-residents could buy cars and use them for up to a year, but could not take them out of the country.

That was back in August 2008 - regulations may have changed since then.


Nov 3, 2009
SaraSara said:
A DNI was required when I bought a car two years ago.

I tried to buy it with my passport and was told that, in special cases, non-residents could buy cars and use them for up to a year, but could not take them out of the country.

That was back in August 2008 - regulations may have changed since then.

In Argentina one never knows.

I bought my car in August 2008 as well with only my passport and a CDI. You have to have at least a CDI as a foreigner non-resident to buy. I bought from a Renault dealership (used car) and they handled everything. I even asked if there were any restrictions on non-residents owning a car here and was told absolutely not.

Also, I drove my car to Paraguay last November (more than a year later) and had no problems at all crossing the border.


May 14, 2010
Hey there I have a bike for sale here are the details:

FOR SALE: Suzuki DR650 2009 Model, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Start of June 2010)
For sale in Buenos Aires at the start of JUNE 2010

Who's looking for ADVENTURE??

Meticulously maintained and cared for.

Perfect for the South American adventure.

Am currently riding solo but this bike can easily transport two people to where you want to go and has enough room to store all your luggage.

All maintenance carried out on schedule, including oil and filter changes, valve checks, drive chain maintenance etc.

Comes with all US paperwork which can be easily transferred into your name
35,000 miles
Fitted with a 21L fuel tank

Eibach EMS spring suspension for load carrying capacity better performance and handling
Aluminium Happy Trail panniers 9"W 15"H 18"L
Aluminium tail plate (for carrying a larger bag)
Happy Trail skid plate
With recently new tires - Pirelli MT60
12 V electrical air pump
Tire leavers, ratchet and socket set, spanners and other tools for maintenance
Pirelli heavy duty spare tire tubes

Price for sale is $3500 USD
For more information, more pictures or to speak to me regarding this motorcycle you can contact me:
By email:

This is an excellent bike for many of the off road and mountain trails you will want to take throughout South and Central America.

Check out my photography blog of my trip... lots of interesting pictures to get you excited about South America and your upcoming adventure!!




Vandy Bookman

Mar 24, 2011
veedub said:
Thanks for everyones responses so far. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a DNI? Also, does anyone know what the deal is with taking the bike across borders in to other countries. Is the paperwork going to be a nightmare??

I have a friend who is currently in the process of buying a car to drive around South America (he originally bought one in the US to ship down here, but his shipping company went bankrupt...long story). He has done loads of research over the past couple of months, and has found out that vehicles are much more expensive than comperable ones in the US and you can't take them across borders (unless you are lucky enough to find someone willing to look the other way).

When his car didn't show up, he actually decided to fly to Santiago because Chile is the only country in SA where foreigners can buy a car and freely cross borders. I would say that unless you are interested in buying in Chile and coming back here, you should seriously consider getting one that is already registered in the US. Not sure how you would get it registered in your name, insurance, etc., but that is for another post perhaps.


French jurist

Feb 5, 2010
Well, since the OP posted his question two years ago and was supposed to be here one week after he wrote it, I hope for him/her he/she found a solution.

Indeed if a tourist buys in Argentina an Arg vehicle, he won't be able to exit the country with it.
Chile is also much cheaper for cars.

As for driving an US vehicle here :
- If a tourist : you can drive it indefinitely, only requisite being exiting the country every three months OR six months (if you renew the Visa without the vehicle).
- If Argentinean or permanent resident : you can drive the US vehicle for up to 2 times 8 months, then the vehicle must exit the Arg territory.

As for insurances : a tourist here can even insure an US vehicle registered to someone else. It has been mentionned before that this could lead to issues if there's an accident (insurers tend to sell umbrellas when there's sunshine, right?) but, after all, if one owns strictly no property in Argentina, risks are close to nada/zilch.

EDIT : I'm looking for a foreign BMW motorcycle BTW. I wouldn't mind a GS1200 ;-p