Buying a vehicle in Argentina

RichG

Registered
Hi,

I'm new here and want to buy a vehicle to get me around. Does anyone know the law and if there are any restriction on foreigners buying vehicles here?

Also what other things go along with owning a car here? Insurance, car taxes & roadworthy certification?!?!?!?

I will be based here permanently.

It's ok without transport in the city but I really need to get out of town soon!

Can anyone help?

Regards
Rich

We have bought two cars while here. You need a copy of a rental address or dead. Your passport number or DNI, you pay cash. You get a green card and blue card with the registration. You pay ABL taxes every quarter on the car. The hardest part is getting the money into the country for the vehicle. The person we used to help us was this Walking dealer & paperwork advisor: Jorge Regatky Cel: 11 5507 2537

It's a pain in the rear to purchase a car here...at least a new one...that is from experience. Took us a few months to get it, all said and done...everytime we went back it was more and more paper work...

2007 peugeot
Plates: 2400 pesos a year
insurance: 400 pesos a month
annual inspection sticker: 75 pesos

"Also what other things go along with owning a car here? Insurance, car taxes & roadworthy certification?!?!?!?"

Note prices are in PESOS
Car insurance we got through our home insurance with HSBC 2008 Honda Fit 350/month 2008 Rav4 450/month.
Plates were Fit: 2100/year Rav4- 2700
Inspection sticker-same as EvergreenGal

The fit took three weeks to purchase, the Rav4 took two weeks. You have to make a deposit usually to reserve the car. We used a friend's walking dealer to make sure we weren't getting the Yankee price. He also help us sell our Rav4, which three days and huge amounts of paper work.

2008 VW gol, i pay 1,170 per year on plates, and 280 a month for fulll insurance,
all you need to buy a new car is a CUIL , you dont need to be from argentina to have one. If you need help buying a New Peugeot,let me know because i know a dealership that that will take the payment from a us bank account in dolares.

A CUIL? Never heard of that?

So I can buy a car for cash with only my passport and an address?

Better think about getting a drivers license. Ho, ho, ho. Hope your Spanish is good because there are no multi lingual tests.

What they do a driving test here? You'd never guess it.

That's just it! When my husband went to get his they made him take a class...basically to go over the rules and then a written test and driving test! They test your eyes and hearing and what they say goes...if they find something wrong you won't get your drivers license until you see a Dr. and get it corrected and bring back the proof!!

Also he was told that the majority of people driving buy their license from someone that makes them...never have taken any classes on how to drive ..rules of the road...doesn't it all make sense now why they drive like idiots and have the highest death rate from car accidents!!

Driving here is like a demolition derby....just last Sunday we were the first car at the light it was RED and the guy behind us laid on the horn!! He was mad we didn't go through it as the traffic was light on Maipu...WHAT???

ghost said:
Better think about getting a drivers license. Ho, ho, ho. Hope your Spanish is good because there are no multi lingual tests.

You can go to the office in capital and get all the questions, and they will give you the answers for study (Spanish only)
There is also an oral Psychological exam in Spanish that is required.
Fred
www.silverstarcar.com

Back