Buying Airline Tickets; Prepayment Tourist Visa; Perm Res.

chris

Registered
I just noticed an email from DELTA saying that I have to pre purchase ($160) a visa for Argentina. I have Permanent Residence. I am concerned that there could be trouble at the airport. A few years ago another airline did not want to let me board because they said I did not have a visa. I protested that I had Permanent Residence. Even when I presented my DNI they did not want to believe me and it took a lot of time to get them to relent and allow me to board.

Has anyone had this problem since the pre-paid fee was implemented?

This is also buzzing over on the Flyertalk Delta forum. No one seems to have a clear answer yet as we all just got these e-mails this past week.

If you have entered Argentina since they've put the fee in effect (and I take it you have and didn't have to pay) then wouldn't that be the same situation now? Obviously the airline was wrong if you were never asked to pay upon landing.

I found this on another site.
http://www.batravelg...n-entering.html
Article 3
http://www.migracion...n_2761_2009.pdf

It seems like you should be exempt.
I would think the only change that has been put in place is having to pay the fee online; the regulations seem to be the same.

Artículo 3º.- Sujetos no incluidos.
No están alcanzados por la norma que establece el pago de la tasa de solicitud de ingreso, los
siguientes supuestos:
a) Argentinos que asimismo ostenten nacionalidad australiana, canadiense o estadounidense y
se presenten al control migratorio con pasaporte expedido por alguno de esos países.
b ) Extranjeros nacionales de AUSTRALIA, CANADA o ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA titulares de
pasaportes ordinarios que se encuentren "en tránsito" o en "prosecución de viaje".
c) Extranjeros nacionales de AUSTRALIA, CANADA o ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA que tengan
residencia vigente en la República Argentina.

d) Extranjeros nacionales de AUSTRALIA, CANADA o ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA, titulares
de pasaportes ordinarios que ingresen con visado consular vigente.
e) Extranjeros nacionales de AUSTRALIA, CANADA o ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA titulares de
pasaportes oficiales o diplomáticos vigentes.

Also:
Australian citizens holders of a valid entry visa, or having been granted a still valid permanent residence in Argentina, are exempted from the Reciprocity Fee.
http://csidn.mrecic.gov.ar/en/node/3256

Sorry I don't have first hand experience.

Permanent Residents do not pay the $160 fee because that fee is for tourists. It has nothing to do when a Permanent Resident entered. The issue is: will the airline not understand how this works and block someone from flying to Argentina because they do not understand that a Permanent Resident is not a tourist and NOT subject to the fee?

I'd love to hear from someone who has first hand experience. Speculation is not helpful.

I flew back in December with Delta and just showed them my DNI at the gate upon boarding and there were no problems, so I would not worry about it. At one point they called the names of all US and Canadian citizens who did not have the prepaid visa registered yet to speak to them, but once I showed my DNI they told me I didn't need anything.

My US husband hasn't even got his DNI yet. He showed the airline staff his permanent residency paperwork which is just some typed sheets in castellano. This was in South Africa. They let him through, no problem. I'm sure this must have happened enough times by now that airlines know the situation.

Here is the email DELTA sent. i called DELTA and it seems that they sent this to every ticketed passenger who has a non Argentine passport. They should have clearly stated that it applies to tourists not to those with Permanent Residence. Careless, if not irresponsible. I emailed my immigration lawyer and he verified that this does not apply to Permanent Residents. Advised me to show my DNI to DELTA. My anxiety was NOT that this fee could apply to me but that DELTA does not know what a DNI is and that they could deny me access to the flight -- something that nearly happened to me on American a few years ago as they were insistent that I had to have a "visa" and did not understand what the DNI in Spanish was all about. After a supervisor came they allowed me to board.

110310_dyn_5c_hdr_shw.gif
110110_1x2.gif
BEFORE DEPARTING FOR ARGENTINA...
110110_1x2.gif
supergraphic_110317.gif
supergraphic_b_110317.gif
110110_1x2.gif
You now must pay Argentina's reciprocity
fee online prior to departure.
120110_button_left.gif
PURCHASE NOW
For your upcoming flight to Argentina's Ezeiza International Airport (EZE), you must pay the $160 reciprocity fee online prior to departure from the U.S.

To pay this fee:
  • Register for the Provincia Payment System
  • Submit your payment through the online form
  • Print your receipt and keep it with your travel documents to present to the Delta agent prior to boarding and/or upon arrival in Argentina
Previously, you could pay this fee at Ezeiza International Airport. However, effective December 28, 2012, advance online payment is now required. Failure to provide a printed receipt as proof of payment will result in denial of boarding or entry into Argentina.

Please visit embassyofargentina.us for the latest updates and more information.

Thank you for choosing Delta. We look forward to serving you soon.

It's not applicable as you said - just show them your DNI at the airport

It's not applicable as you said - just show them your DNI at the airport

No doubt you're correct, but never overestimate the intelligence of airline counter personnel. If they refuse to listen, ask for a supervisor.

You might also show them the stamps in your passport, presuming they're recent enough to fall under the "reciprocity" (read "retaliation") program.

The issue here is that you may run into trouble with incompetent Delta employees trying to refuse you boarding if they don't see a green light on their screen that you've prepaid using their verification system. We know that we're all in the right, either having a DNI, having previously paid the fee in years past and having the sticker, etc. The Delta mouthbreather isn't likely to know that and may hassle you. I've had two instances of airport delays while DL employees pause to "figure out" something that doesn't jive with their elementary understanding of the airline instructions. This is a DL issue and we're really only worried about them.

If you feel like waiting on the phone for a few minutes, I would call DL and have them annotate your reservation/PNR that you have already paid the fee and your passport reflects this, or that you have permanent residence and thus do not need to pay the fee. An observant gate agent would hopefully notice the annotation.

Back