Buying Airplane Tickets In Pesos (At Right Rate)

polostar88

Registered
All the online sites I'm looking at for buying tickets from Argentina either to the US or elsewhere in South America (or wherever) list the price in pesos. This is troubling because if I buy it online with a card, I'm presumably going to be charged at the absurd wrong rate. Was wondering if there's any way to buy an airplane ticket in pesos at the correct rate in Argentina. Please PM me if necessary, thanks.

instead of using the Argentine website, use the American version of use one of the many websites that sell tickets. For example:

http://www.delta.com

If you google Delta it will give you an link for the Argentine Delta website.

Because you connect to the internet in Argentina if their is a country specific website it will default to the .ar version.

Delta.com gives you prices in USD and the Argentine website gives you peso prices

I believe you can change your dollars at the blue rate and pay cash for your ticket at one of the airline's offices or via bank deposit.

If you are in Argentina, go directly at the airlines offices and pay pesos. They will charge you the tourist rate but in pesos. You will save about 30% paying this way (paying cash exchange at the blue rate Vs paying by card at the official rate).

Buying at a travel agent office but knowing the flight number and the rate online helps to ensure the rate you're given matches or is less when doing this. I did this last year and referred other expats to this option. The commission paid was less than the "tourist tax" you may be charged if paying at the ticket counter or online as they ask for your DNI or passport number. Those that did take the travel agent route last year and ran into problems had checked bags and were charged the tourist tax (30%), so try to fit everything in a carry-on and avoid the ticket counter.

so try to fit everything in a carry-on and avoid the ticket counter.

Ticket counters here can be a real mess. Some really nasty ground staff of the airlines.

eg Gol Airlines does not allow online check in for clients flying out of Arg or even have a auto check in counter at the aeroparque airport. So you are forced to stand in a long que to check in even if you are luggage free. And then when your turn comes, one should start shuddering. Because the Gol ground staff, takes your interview, KGB style..And then makes you weigh your hand luggage and force you to check it in even if you just want to carry it in the plane and even if your hand luggage is the right size and just 1 kg above their policy.

but the worst is the military style interview for flying from Argentina to Brazil.

Try to avoid Gol

I believe you can change your dollars at the blue rate and pay cash for your ticket at one of the airline's offices or via bank deposit.
If you are in Argentina, go directly at the airlines offices and pay pesos. They will charge you the tourist rate but in pesos. You will save about 30% paying this way (paying cash exchange at the blue rate Vs paying by card at the official rate).

I am pretty sure that you can no longer pay in pesos if you are a nonresident. You must pay with an international credit card or USD at the official rate. It has been this way for months.

Ticket counters here can be a real mess. Some really nasty ground staff of the airlines.

eg Gol Airlines does not allow online check in for clients flying out of Arg or even have a auto check in counter at the aeroparque airport. So you are forced to stand in a long que to check in even if you are luggage free. And then when your turn comes, one should start shuddering. Because the Gol ground staff, takes your interview, KGB style..And then makes you weigh your hand luggage and force you to check it in even if you just want to carry it in the plane and even if your hand luggage is the right size and just 1 kg above their policy.

but the worst is the military style interview for flying from Argentina to Brazil.

Try to avoid Gol

Is this at the check-in counter or do they weigh it at the gate? Because if it's the former, the solution is simple - don't have your carry-on next to you when checking in.

Now another way: go to a privately owned travel agency and offer the owner to pay in full with USD at the blue rate (of course). He may be glad to accept them!!!

Reactions: ben
Now another way: go to a privately owned travel agency and offer the owner to pay in full with USD at the blue rate (of course). He may be glad to accept them!!!

Pretty sure he is going to have to show proof that those tickets were paid in USD or with a foreign credit card. The government has done pretty well with closing and blue rate loopholes.

Back