Buying an apartment. Do I need my own real estate agent?

ottobe

Registered
I am planning to buy an apartment in October 2024, probably in San Telmo. Which is a new experience to me. Reading about the purchase process suggests that I should have an agent of my own, in addition to the sellers agent.
As I understand, the two agents will split the agent fee so it will not cost me any extra.
Is this correct?

If so, can anybody recommend an agent?

I am planning to buy an apartment in October 2024, probably in San Telmo. Which is a new experience to me. Reading about the purchase process suggests that I should have an agent of my own, in addition to the sellers agent.
As I understand, the two agents will split the agent fee so it will not cost me any extra.
Is this correct?

If so, can anybody recommend an agent?
You should definitely find an escribano to help you. That person will review any contract and protect your interests.An escribano, in case you didn’t know, is a lawyer who specializes in contract law.

Use the sellers agent save yourself some grief.

Here are all of my posts including the words "real estate agent."

The titles of the individual threads should also lead to additional information which you may find relevant.

I checked other post,,,

I am in process now to buy.

Heres one thing my agent told me, and I never heard about this before.

Agent told me after I make reserva and the offer is accepted, that I have to give seller 30% of cost within 20 days. (no deed)

What I know
The total balance that would be left, after the reserva of 10% is due at the time of the signing of the deed. Between 45 to 60 days .

Where this 30% in 20 days come from I do not know????

One more thing . Can the seller remove A/Cs /stoves /lighting fixtures that are attached?
Is this normal procedure in Argentina?

PS: if I do not buy this house I will never work with an Agent again. Only the sellers agent.

Last edited:
@Mizu
What I have read several places, e.g. here: Purchase, is that you have to pay 30% when signing the "Boleto", so that seems right. But you should not pay 10% at the "reserva". 1-2% is normal I believe. The 30% will be in the hands of the notary and not paid to the seller.

Regarding A/C etc. Yes, I think that is normal that the seller takes that. But you can make an agreement that it should stay. Must be in the contract.

Regarding "PS: if I do not buy this house I will never work with an Agent again. Only the sellers agent"
So you have your own agent? And way don't you want to use that again?

Thank you for your information.

I have been told you pay 1st reserva about 1500 then if you do a 2nd another 5,000. Then you meet at place seller determines and pay balance and have the deed.

Never any mention of 30% and thats why I would never use Agent again. I was the one who found the house also.

each agent has their own rules. they also use words like reserva, reserva definitva, refuerzo. those terms are not written in stone unfortunatelly. you should speak to the agent to underestand the steps involved in buying a house from him. the whole thing will cost you around 10% more than the property price. the state gets a share, the realtor and the escribano.
the realstate agent gets around 4% (ask him ). so he could ask for that 4% as seña or refuerzo. then there would be a contract of fees between you and the realtor and the 4% is used to cancel that.
but the seller might need the 30% as "refuerzo" specially if he is selling that flat to buy onother one. The flat is not yours untill the sign in front of a escribano. a boleto not signed in front of a escribano has little weight of it's own. you can sign a boleto before a escribano and get the keys to the flat and use it/move in. that gets you somewhat covered legally if something goes wrong in between.
30% with no boleto seems too much.

normally the seller can choose the place where the transaction takes place and the buyers can choose the escribano.

also it's important to know if there is one owner and he is selling or if the owner died and his wife/sons are selling. the process involved is way longer.

it's important you get every detail you want written in the paperwork you sign. oral agreements won't work. don't let them bully you into signing things you are not up for. a lot of these realtor guys move the carrot in front of you with a stick when you are almost there.
threaten to back out if you need to.

Agent told me after I make reserva and the offer is accepted, that I have to give seller 30% of cost within 20 days. (no deed)
I don't think this is an absolute requirement. You can propose what works for you. It's possible to do a direct sale without the 'Boleto,' where the title transfers to you upon payment in full. The multi-step process usually implies you need time to gather the full amount, like from selling your previous apartment.

Back